Conception

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I missed a detail in my reading and that was about one individual recovered wearing two different kinds of shoes (one on each foot). This individual also had one of the lowest carbon monoxide concentrations.

The potential implications of this break my heart all over again.

I missed a detail in my reading and that was about one individual recovered wearing two different kinds of shoes (one on each foot). This individual also had one of the lowest carbon monoxide concentrations.

The potential implications of this break my heart all over again.
Case #?

Most of my trips were during lobster season, October to March, so I took a bag but used it as a blanket if needed. During the summer, sweats and socks might be too much for me.

Anybody know what the temp was? I'm trying to reconcile it being so cold that people were sleeping in Uggs yet it might have been so hot that any kind of blanket or sleeping bag would have been unbearably hot. It would be really interesting to know if any of the passengers brought sleeping bags on board, but it sounds like that wasn't too common based on what @lexvil posted.

Tempature, as applied to what people wear and how they sleep is quite subjective. I've been on the Truth in shorts and a T-shirt talking to another guy bundled up in a boat coat telling me how cold it was. I assume he would use more thermal protection for sleeping than I. I wouldn't be supprised if someone bought a sleeping bag, and even used it, any more than if they didn't.

Most of my trips were during lobster season, October to March, so I took a bag but used it as a blanket if needed. During the summer, sweats and socks might be too much for me.

Tempature, as applied to what people wear and how they sleep is quite subjective. I've been on the Truth in shorts and a T-shirt talking to another guy bundled up in a boat coat telling me how cold it was. I assume he would use more thermal protection for sleeping than I. I wouldn't be supprised if someone bought a sleeping bag, and even used it, any more than if they didn't.
Good point, Bob..

Yes. I normally sleep under a fat down blanket in anything below mid-80s F. I start wrapping myself in all available blankets on day 3 of a Caribbean dive trip, night temperatures in mid-to-high 80s and no a/c unless it's really very humid. At the same time I'm fine in an old 2/1 shorty where other people shiver in full-body 3mm w/ hood and gloves.

Anybody know what the temp was? I'm trying to reconcile it being so cold that people were sleeping in Uggs yet it might have been so hot that any kind of blanket or sleeping bag would have been unbearably hot. It would be really interesting to know if any of the passengers brought sleeping bags on board, but it sounds like that wasn't too common based on what @lexvil posted.

https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/ventura/93001/september-weather/327140?year=2019
For the record, as this doesn't seem to be kept online for more than a year:
https://web.archive.org/web/2020053...tura/93001/september-weather/327140?year=2019

max: 80, min: 64

So not cold by any stretch of the imagination, but this is for Ventura, mainland. Off the coast over the water, it can get significantly cooler and windy at night.
I always bring a sleeping bag on SoCal liveaboards, lighter in the summer, thicker in the winter. I have seen many others do the same.
I have also a vivid memory of rows of slippers, sneakers and all kinds of shoes on the floor next to the bottom bunks (and many kicked around by the next morning, evidence of nightly traffic).

Finally, I am one of those using ear-plugs to fight snoring neighbors, engine noise and other distractions and usually sleep like a baby on boats. Others do likewise, others don't.

Some passengers probably never knew what happens, but it is likely that some woke up and realized the situation, and maybe some even made is as far as the galley or even outside and in the water.

. . . maybe some even made is as far as the galley or even outside and in the water.
Baseless speculation doesn't do anyone any good. There is ZERO evidence that either of those things happened. The crew was able to see in the galley (but couldn't get in because of flames) and didn't report seeing anyone inside. They, and the various first responders, also searched the waters surrounding the vessel and nearby and didn't report seeing anyone in the water.

Baseless speculation doesn't do anyone any good. There is ZERO evidence that either of those things happened. The crew was able to see in the galley (but couldn't get in because of flames) and didn't report seeing anyone inside. They, and the various first responders, also searched the waters surrounding the vessel and nearby and didn't report seeing anyone in the water.

I'll take exception with the "baseless" characterization. I mentioned some puzzling facts in the coroner's reports on two of the victims.This is the basis of my "maybe". While I have no reason to doubt any witness report (which one are you referring to by the way?), witness reports are notoriously flaky as you well know, this being said without any suggestion that they are willingly so.
The last body was found far from the wreck. Bodies sink, bodies drift. It was night.
I wished I had the guts to run through a raging fire, but then, I have never encountered such a situation. I can fathom (i.e. speculate) that some could be willing to try it.

Regardless, this is an Accident thread, and honest speculation is not discouraged as far as I know.
I only wish I can be proven wrong.

I wished I had the guts to run through a raging fire, but then, I have never encountered such a situation. I can fathom (i.e. speculate) that some could be willing to try it.
It's not a matter of gut's it's a matter of physics and chemistry.

The seat cushions are likely the main initial fuel and they are likely foam that both burns intensely hot and emits extremely toxic gasses. There are a series of navigational turns you need to make to get out via the stairs and those are going to slow you down. So it isn't like you are sprinting through the fire - which I'm told is not nearly as easy to do as it is in the movies. The kind of heat being released in there is insane.

And if you take a breath it will both destroy your respiratory system due to the heat and kill you via the toxins.

Even someone in fire fighter bunker gear and a SCBA would be far from assured to make it up those stairs and out.

It's detailed in the NTSB report that just came out today that Ken posted here - NTSB opens public docket on Conception fire

From page 44 of the Group Chairman's Factual Report - Document 1 1 - IIC - Conception Details and Bunk Layout Filing Date September 15, 2020 4 page(s) of Image (PDF or TIFF) 0 Photos

External examinations conducted by the Sheriff-Coroner, as confirmed by divers’ video, documented 27 decedents as being fully or partially clothed. The coroner reports documented that 14 people were wearing some sort of footwear and including the female crew member who had sandals on both of her feet. One female passenger was wearing a jacket. Three other cadaver bags included footwear, though not worn at the time of arrival ashore, and one contained a backpack. Conception’s bunkroom was outfitted with 13 double bunks, 5 of which were occupied by two people. Of those 10 victims, four had footwear on, or with them, one of which had a hiking boot on one foot and sandal on another. This same victim was holding a mobile phone. A sandal was recovered with the wreckage which had a silhouette impression of a burned foot in it”, without further analysis.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom