Concerns about moderating policies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
In all honesty I'm just now seeing this so another mod must've honored his request. I wanted him to start a conversation so I could ask privately if he was positive it's what he wanted.

Will you completely delete my account so my personal information is no longer available to hackers on this site?
The database has never been hacked. Your personal information has never been available to hackers through ScubaBoard... not then and not now. The code that was exploited allowed an insertion but no extraction. It was well documented and many, many sites were hit when it became available. No databases were accessed, much less compromised which made reversing the damage rather simple. Insertion of malware is far, far more common than hacking into a database. It's embarrassing, a pain in the butt and requires constant monitoring but we keep our software up to date both on the server side and application side. It's not a database hack. Moreover, the only information we have is your email and your unique password... certainly, you don't use the same password for each login. Every sign in needs its own unique password. You can use a password manager like Dashlane or LastPass, there are even USB key systems which will protect you. Flushing your cookies when you end your session is also a good idea. That's where most of your data is stored in any event, right on your PC. But if you are really that worried: just stay off the interwebs and wear a tin foil hat.

It's good to note this once more: The ONLY way to completely foil hackers is to stay off the net. We don't maintain any financial data here. PayPal handles all of the Go Red and gives us the code to show you've done that. That's really what the hackers want, so we're not very high on their list.

As for "completely" remove: there ain't no such thing. We can delete your access, which is not reversible. We can delete your password. We can disassociate your account from your email address. AWAP will still be associated with every post. In addition, way back machines all over the net have been recording as much metadata as they can, including screenshots. I've pulled up ScubaBoard from 2002. It's scary. You should assume that any and everything you post anywhere on the net, including your personal emails, are subject to scrutiny by someone somewhere. The forums, where there is little real personal info, is the least of your worries.

I'm impressed by the power of the host, redacted and *name removed* upon request. Glad to know it is possible if I too need to request such a favor.

Also saddened by his decision.

Also saddened by his decision.
It was a stupid decision and accomplished absolutely nothing. We do not delete accounts.

I just love how the disgruntled leave this place. Or not. As far as I can tell, it takes about 11 posts. One to announce they are leaving, and then 10 more to re-announce the decision with more and more vehemence as to how they really, really are gonna leave.

And very, very occasionally, they actually do us the favor of following thru. :-D

But usually not. :-(

If you have a problem with a mod, please send a synopsis to Support@ScubaBoard.com. Please include links to any abuse. Thanks.
Pete,

It happened a while ago. I simply participate less and just watch for that mod's activity on threads (in which I won't participate then at all, as I've seen how he's stuffed things up with selective deletions that made the thread make a whole lot less sense). And the world continues to turn.....

This is so embarrassing but I can't figure out who it was that just quit now that the name is redacted. If someone chooses to "Walk the Plank" off the Piratical Party Boat that is Scubaboard, could they NOT have their name redacted like its some top secret Nuclear Code? If the Ghost of Redacted is out there reading this, you should know that have succeeded in being annoying in your absence.

If the Ghost of Redacted is out there reading this, you should know that have succeeded in being annoying in your absence.
Which is why we should only do that under extraordinary circumstances. This was not one of them.

But consider this: what if more people who quit Scubaboard demand to have their name redacted? Then, when you read old threads, it will look like there is some "Hive Mind" called Redacted that is commenting everywhere in all kinds of inconsistent ways. In fact, Redacted could appear to have a horrible argument with himself, while also posting snarky asides, and in the worst POSSIBLE case, dirty limericks, like some Psycho Sybill Split Personality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom