Concerns about moderating policies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
But consider this: what if more people who quit Scubaboard demand to have their name redacted? Then, when you read old threads, it will look like there is some "Hive Mind" called Redacted that is commenting everywhere in all kinds of inconsistent ways. In fact, Redacted could appear to have a horrible argument with himself, while also posting snarky asides, and in the worst POSSIBLE case, dirty limericks, like some Psycho Sybill Split Personality.

Possibly generating a new username (random letters)? (and maybe a random avatar) I think that would still be protecting the person's identity and still keep threads readable. Of course a lot more work for you Pete.

Is "name removed" formerly known as LowViz? There is another called redacted but can't remember him either.

At the end of the day anything posted to the forum is then property of the forum including the name of the person who posted it. Redacting is based soley on whether the owner of the forum wants to or not. Also I can screen shot it and you have no legal recourse, you cannot force me to delete it. The only way to prevent this is by not posting. Keep in mind anything posted to the internet including email, social media, comments on forums and web pages is cached somewhere and cannot be fully deleted. While we are on the subject deleting only deletes the path to the data and does not delete the data itself. That requires additional steps/programs. Treat everything online as if you are shouting it from your doorstep. If you are embarrassed to say it to your neighbor why would you say it to a stranger?

If the identity of a user needs to be "hidden" for any particular reason and the user name reveals their identity then I could see changing it to something else. If someone wants to leave the forum then they should really just log out and not log in again. It's that simple. There is no need to burn bridges when you leave the forum.

A couple of years ago I took an extended break from posting and cleared all of my personal information and left a note that I was inactive. That is something the user can do themselves in their own profile settings.

R..

Is "name removed" formerly known as LowViz? There is another called redacted but can't remember him either.
Lowviz is still with us. You can search by a name, so that if someone has interesting information/ideas, you can look up other posts that share similarly valuable information.
As for privacy, I don't have accurate information about myself to begin with, for example my birthday it's wrong. It is not like all of Scubaboard is going to be sending me presents.
:p

Last edited:
Scubaboard survives because of a few simple concepts. The information and it's validity is regulated by the members. There is confidence placed in the collective wisdom and maturity of the members and it works out surprisingly well. The moderators try to create an atmosphere of respect and friendly exchange of ideas.
They get involved when there is a pattern of abusive or offensive posting or a lack of maturity that would be detrimental to the first concept. The mods typically benefit from the same collective wisdom to guide them in their efforts.

It's simple and self regulating. In general it is like any other community. There are so many people trying to do good for others expecting nothing in return that it overcomes a few unfortunate folks that are having a difficult time and take it out on those around them. Most of those that are here for attention or whatever will at some point fail to get satisfaction and will create their own demise.

Last edited:
This has turned into one of the most unfortunate threads that I have read in recent memory on SB.

Of course we remember his name but out of respect to his request we aren't gratifying the attention seeking behavior of posts requesting this info. And to all the divers he helped solve their gear issues and DIY's problems its a sad turn of events indeed.

I think everyone needs to take a step back and prehaps look at their own online behavior and close this thread that has obviously ran its course of anything useful.

I learned much from him in a short time. I was taking poetic license to make a point about the importance of the greater community and my post was not about Gary per se.

Thank you all for this very detailed and sometimes real time display of the banning/leaving process, and especially the thinking that supports the decisions. This is the best scuba forum out there, and have no doubts about the time, hard work, and general aggravation involved in being a MOD. As in any forum, some people leave and new ones come in, but I suspect ScubaBoard will be at the top of the pile for a very long time. Hats off to you MODs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom