Concerns raised about agency response to student fatality

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

boulderjohn

Technical Instructor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
There was a brief ScubaBoard thread about a diving fatality this past January in Italy: Cave fatality - Solagna, Italy. I myself did not even notice it, and I was unaware of it until I stumbled upon a recent discussion of the aftermath and the response of the instructor's agency (IANTD). After investigating the incident, IANTD determined that there were no violations of standards and declined to discipline either the instructor or the intern who was actually supervising the student. Literally hundreds of IANTD instructors and divers have protested this decision. In response, IANTD has expelled or otherwise disciplined the leaders of this protest.

All the information can be found on this FaceBook page. It is important to read both the initial statement and the attached documents to get a full feel of the issue. The primary author is not a native English speaker, and it is sometimes difficult to follow the details. This document is written in more clear English and better describes the situation. Here is a quick summary of the situation as I understand it. If I am mistaken, please correct me.

1. The student was taking an introductory level cave diving class. The actual instructor for the class was not in the immediate vicinity of the incident but was elsewhere, working with another student. An instructor intern was working with the students in the introductory class.

2. There is some concern that the cave was too difficult for an introductory level course. It contains a number of severe restrictions. You can judge for yourself by reviewing this video of the entry, which was provided at the end of the FaceBook page.

3. The students were sent from the entrance in one minute intervals, meaning that the students were each diving solo for that portion of the dive and could not follow the diver in front of them.

4. The students were to navigate the first part of the entry alone and with no guideline to the surface. They were to continue unguided until they found the beginning of the guideline, at which point they would begin to follow that line (which can be seen in the video).

5. The victim did not see the guideline and went past it to a side tunnel that led to nowhere. As it became tighter, the student, knowing the cave had restrictions, apparently tried to fight through it. He become completely stuck so that the intern was unable to get him out when he found him. He died while stuck in that restriction.

6. Upon completing its investigation, IANTD determined that there were no standards violations. The instructor was allowed to go on instructing, and the intern was determined to have completed his internship satisfactorily.

Yeah, my personal feeling is that IANTD has made some sketchy decisions recently. This is one.

how on earth can they say there were no standards violated if there wasn't a guideline to the surface and divers were unsupervised?

followed by just watching the video and there is literally 0 way that that entrance is acceptable for intro divers, and I'd argue in even in full cave training

the only way this could be considered OK is if IANTD has given them written permission to start the dives in this matter. It's not unheard of for agencies to give exceptions to rules with extenuating circumstances, but I did not see mention of anything like this

Last edited:
In response, IANTD has expelled or otherwise disciplined the leaders of this protest..

I'm curious if other IANTD instructors are going to leave in droves as a result. There's no monopoly on instruction and there are some other really good tech diving agencies.

the students were each diving solo for that portion of the dive and could not follow the diver in front of them.

I'm not a cave diver, but I can't imagine that it is a good idea for any student to be solo in any course. Ever. Cave. Wreck. Open water. Doesn't matter.

What is the LDS name involved?
I don't know that there is a LDS involved. The names of the individuals are on the FaceBook site, and I have pasted them here:

Andrzej Kruczkowski - cave instructor ITT IANTD (organizer and course leader)
Wojciech Nowak – student on the grade IANTD cave instructor
Krzysztof Betiuk – student on the grade cave diver (he died during this course)
Marcel Korkuś - student on the grade cave diver

I'm curious if other IANTD instructors are going to leave in droves as a result. There's no monopoly on instruction and there are some other really good tech diving agencies.
The only problem is there's a real and non-negligible cost (both time and money) in doing that

I'm not a cave diver, but I can't imagine that it is a good idea for any student to be solo in any course. Ever. Cave. Wreck. Open water. Doesn't matter.
Agreed.

I do not get why those instructors do not get fired and got their instructor certifications canceled.

The only problem is there's a real and non-negligible cost (both time and money) in doing that.

I understand that. My perception is that this is a rather extreme situation. I do expect some fallout, especially by those instructors who teach on the side.

After investigating the incident, IANTD determined that there were no violations of standards and declined to discipline either the instructor or the intern who was actually supervising the student. Literally hundreds of IANTD instructors and divers have protested this decision. In response, IANTD has expelled or otherwise disciplined the leaders of this protest.

I have a procedural question regarding this scenario. Not specific to cave diving. If an allegation of wrong-doing is made against an agency, and the agency investigates and clears the accused of wrong-doing (doesn't mean he was or wasn't innocent, but officially, he's been cleared), and one or more others in the agency publicly 'protest' that decision, is that normally grounds for potential disciplinary action?

I'm asking with these points in mind:

1.) Remember the double-jeopardy laws that prevent a person from being tried twice for the same crime in the U.S., even if new evidence turns up? Well, here we're talking about agency regulations, and not a U.S.-specific event, but is there anything like this to consider? Do agencies 're-try' people?

2.) If not, was it feasible the decision might be over-turned?

3.) If a member is cleared by the agency, and another member publicly accuses him of wrong-doing in regard to the incident, does that tend to be viewed as harassment or slander of some sort?

Richard.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom