Conditions are fantastic off Morehead City now

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nice! Sweet viz. So, what's the best time of year to dive up there, for good weather, warm water and good luck with the sharks?

Richard.

Right now! Last year at this time we found a Atlantic Manta and a nest (2-300) of birthing momma's on the Atlas.

See ya in a couple weeks Ken.

went on an inshore today and started ou great viz.. ended up better than average...

LOTS of baitfish and a face to face encounter with a bull... we both came around the corner at the same time in opposite directions... don't know who was scared first

I flew from Dallas to dive there last weekend and got blown out by weather. A 4 day weekend and never got wet. :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wonder how often 'dive tourists' come out to spend a week dedicated to North Carolina wreck diving, seeing the sand tiger sharks, etc…? And whether most people come for a weekend or 3 or 4 days, of the 1 week with 6 days diving set is common, too?

I ask because when I pay airfare, it costs about the same either way, and I like to get some diving in. If I flew out for 3 or 4 days, I'd be 'disgruntled.'

Wonder what % of scheduled dive days get cancelled at different times of the year?

Richard.

i am sure ken can better answer this, but i will chime in as i cant help myself....lol

rarely do we get blown out for a solid week...

usually it is a day or two.

the diving here is some of the best in the world, and many feel it is worth the risk. I would venture to say that if you are here for 3-4 days the chances are pretty good that you will do some cool diving
if you are into wrecks, sharks, cool marine life, then this about as good as it gets ...but most of the cool stuff is 20-50 miles offshore. this presents a dilemma. mother nature has to somewhat cooperate to get out to them.

i think every diver should have nc on their bucket list...

i few months back i went spearing with friends on a 'seceret' set of numbers and we dove a rock knob that was channeled out and looked exactly like what i dove in grand cayman in janurary... I thought to myself... ' i have this 20 miles from my doorstep and i traveled over 1000 miles to go there....why?".

Thanks for the info. It's on my bucket list, but here's the situation (similar to some other folks I imagine...):

1.) I am blessed to get to go on some scuba trips, but only so much in a year. Limited time & other resources.

2.) I like warm water high viz. ocean diving with beautiful reefs and fish. I don't have to travel long distance; the Key Largo in the Florida Keys works fine.

3.) On a dedicated dive trip, I like to get in several dives in a place, to feel like I've 'done it' (at least had a good introduction; you can dive a place a decade & still run across something new one day).

4.) Right now, my dive trip planning tends to be either 'tried & true' (Bonaire) or 'new and different' (so far Key Largo, with plan to hit Jupiter and over time some other places).

So I'd like to hit North Carolina 'one of these days.' The sand tiger sharks in numbers and fairly close quarters are the main draw. The issue isn't whether it's worthwhile; the issue is whether it's more worthwhile than tropical Caribbean destinations for a given trip. North Caroline vs. Cozumel, or maybe West Palm Beach, etc...

About how long each way is the boat trip to mainstream diving?

About how bad does it tend to be riding given that this is the Atlanta ocean? I'm not prone to sea sickness, but I'm also wondering how 'challenging' dealing with the ladder is when it's time to haul out. I really do like my teeth...

Richard.

Thanks for the info. It's on my bucket list, but here's the situation (similar to some other folks I imagine...):

1.) I am blessed to get to go on some scuba trips, but only so much in a year. Limited time & other resources.

2.) I like warm water high viz. ocean diving with beautiful reefs and fish. I don't have to travel long distance; the Key Largo in the Florida Keys works fine.

3.) On a dedicated dive trip, I like to get in several dives in a place, to feel like I've 'done it' (at least had a good introduction; you can dive a place a decade & still run across something new one day).

4.) Right now, my dive trip planning tends to be either 'tried & true' (Bonaire) or 'new and different' (so far Key Largo, with plan to hit Jupiter and over time some other places).

So I'd like to hit North Carolina 'one of these days.' The sand tiger sharks in numbers and fairly close quarters are the main draw. The issue isn't whether it's worthwhile; the issue is whether it's more worthwhile than tropical Caribbean destinations for a given trip. North Caroline vs. Cozumel, or maybe West Palm Beach, etc...

About how long each way is the boat trip to mainstream diving?

About how bad does it tend to be riding given that this is the Atlanta ocean? I'm not prone to sea sickness, but I'm also wondering how 'challenging' dealing with the ladder is when it's time to haul out. I really do like my teeth...

Richard.

I have dove in :
roatan, cozumel, beliez, st. thomas, st. joh, st. martin., nassau, grand turk, grand cayman, key west and jamacia.

honestly the diving here is just as good and many days better. We have the same marine life, cooler wrecks, and mucho sharks, sea turtles, and in april whales.

the water here is up in the 80's in the summer, and the viz gets 100'+

To knock your teeth out you would have to be so uncoordinated that you should not be diving in the first place.

i am not trying to sell this place. I dive every year somewhere in the carribean/bahamas, etc. and the more of those places i go the more i realize how good it is here.

the biggest drawback here is the long rides.... nothing like a 5 minute boat ride to the site in the bahamas....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom