Conditions at La Jolla Shores?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Otter

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I am headed down south for a Deep Dive / Class. Any one been there today and if so, can you lets us in on the conditions?

TIA

Hi Craig!

I did 2 dives today at the Shores. Vis was 15-20 feet the 1st dive, and 10-15 on the 2nd dive. The tide was going out but had some big waves for our fist dive, but my 12 pm it was low tide with pretty small waves. Some were saying there was no vis, but they always stay above the canyon.

Have a good dive!

We did two dives....the first right at high tide. Made the swim out to the orange buoy (thought it was white when last I dived there for the Wrinkles Oct(?) Dive). Dropped down and viz was probably 10-15. Swam to canyon and went down to 95 and did our skills. Viz was still pretty good. Swam back in and at times, it pushed 20'...but as we got closer to shore, it dropped fast. There was soo much junk in the water (tons o'kelp parts) that viz was probably 3-5'. Waves were not an issue.

Second dive, pretty much went out to the same area and encountered similar conditions even though the tide had gone way out (due to the gentle slope).

I have to ask, we say 5-6 rays and to 2'-3' Halibut. Not much else, what is the attraction to the shores? There must be more deeper?

Thanks for the info Sean.

Otter:
We did two dives....the first right at high tide. Made the swim out to the orange buoy (thought it was white when last I dived there for the Wrinkles Oct(?) Dive). Dropped down and viz was probably 10-15. Swam to canyon and went down to 95 and did our skills. Viz was still pretty good. Swam back in and at times, it pushed 20'...but as we got closer to shore, it dropped fast. There was soo much junk in the water (tons o'kelp parts) that viz was probably 3-5'. Waves were not an issue.

Second dive, pretty much went out to the same area and encountered similar conditions even though the tide had gone way out (due to the gentle slope).

I have to ask, we say 5-6 rays and to 2'-3' Halibut. Not much else, what is the attraction to the shores? There must be more deeper?

I dive shores becuase of the RAYs. but there are awesome sea anemones, huge crabs, large sheapshead, kelb bass, pipefish, Sea hairs, sea cucumbers, nudi's that get washed in, sea stars, octi(at night) and if you look more closely the canyon is covered with colonies of Black eyed Blenies.

Ohh and almost everybody gets certified there...

Otter:

The rays, the halibuts, the crabs, other schools of fish, jellyfish, etc.. also, the sharks in the summer time is great to see.

The shores though is an easy shore dive more often than not and you have the canyon that can go pretty deep if that's your interest.

Back
Top Bottom