• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

condom caths

Discussion in 'Exposure Suits' started by opie712, Nov 20, 2015.

1. Scott

Scott ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    Issue with Depends is they can only absorb so much so fast. Just as bad as a cath coming off. If you can slow the flow it’s a good option.
    As for #2. Never tried it.

2. Stoo

Stoo NAUI Instructor

# of Dives: 5,000 - ∞
    Ya, well no. Diapers were the old way. I once saw a hugely obese friend wandering around naked apart from a soggy diaper. He reminded me of a giant, disgusting baby. I swore I'd never go that route (although I did wear them during by brief career diving commercially.) Thankfully, he was heading to the head to change.

As for pooping during a dive.... I'm just not going there, but it seems like something that would be fraught with risk. :(

Dark Wolf likes this.
  3. Stoo

Stoo NAUI Instructor

# of Dives: 5,000 - ∞
    If ever there was a reason to be thankful for being a dude, this is it.

Marie13, Dark Wolf and Mo2vation like this.
  4. Marie13

Marie13 Great Lakes Mermaid ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    :D

The amount of trial and error required to get the perfect combo of placement and amount of glue...

Dark Wolf and Stoo like this.
  5. Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer Solo Diver

One of the things I've found is when making multi day dives you need to make sure to wash your junk fully and be sure to remove all residue from the adhesive. Otherwise the cath can be really difficult to remove the next day.

Dark Wolf likes this.
  6. BoundForElsewhere

BoundForElsewhere Waiting for the zombies ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Please tell me that was while diving.

Stoo likes this.
  7. lexvil

lexvil ScubaBoard Sponsor ScubaBoard Sponsor

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    Trim close is the most important thing to do to enhance your removal experience. Put the quick release part on the cath first making sure it’s on as far as it will go, pee early and pee often because if the glue is wet it won’t stick closed when the cold activates the retraction system where your “junk” decides to go inside to stay warm.

I find removal easy enough by just lifting the bottom away and slowly pulling up and away.

8. kelemvor

kelemvor Big Fleshy Monster ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    It's not all that bad. However, I did get a defective condom catheter from CCDS once. The tip of it was not cut. That could have been a really bad day :wink: Once I got the right size catheters, the use of them became much easier. A lot like drysuits or wings, or fins, or lead, or masks.... heck, I guess everything in diving needs to be just right - maybe Goldilocks was the first diver.

9. Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer Solo Diver

To prevent the end from sticking to itself and closing while diving try pushing your tip in all the way and before unrolling the catch pinch your tip and stretch your junk out while unrolling the catch to make sure you have adhesive on the shaft just below the tip. Try to avoid getting the adhesive on your tip as due to increased sensitivity removal will be extremely more unpleasant from that area.

Dark Wolf and kelemvor like this.
  10. Akimbo

Akimbo Lift to Freedom Volunteer Staff Member ScubaBoard Supporter

You really want Small Stainless Steel Bandage Scissors for removal:

upload_2019-12-4_7-31-20.png

Slip the blunt end of the scissors in the end of the condom and slit all the way up. Adhesive removal wipes are much more effective after the condom is opened up.