Confessions of a former Fusion hater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I’m looking at buying the Apeks KVR 1 with Aircore. I’m in the middle of every size category for the L/XL EXCEPT the height. I’m 6’-2” and the L/XL only goes to 6’-1”. I don’t want the 2x/3x, I feel the inner bag is to baggy. Does anyone have any experience with height issues in the suit. Anyone in between sizes? LDS only orders on demand. My buddy has the 2x/3x that I tried on. I’m affraid if the L/XL being to short...

I’m looking at buying the Apeks KVR 1 with Aircore. I’m in the middle of every size category for the L/XL EXCEPT the height. I’m 6’-2” and the L/XL only goes to 6’-1”. I don’t want the 2x/3x, I feel the inner bag is to baggy. Does anyone have any experience with height issues in the suit. Anyone in between sizes? LDS only orders on demand. My buddy has the 2x/3x that I tried on. I’m affraid if the L/XL being to short...

Some people mix and match different skin and inner core sizes. That might be something to think about.

Kris,

I have a L/XL AL Fusion Tech version on order (side note, AL has evidenly run into some production delays, but hopfully here in a few weeks). I don't know what your schedule is or where you are in Jersey, but if you can hold out and are willing to drive over, you are welcome to give it a try once I have it.

The Tech skin should be stretchier than the Kevlar, but it should get you at least a sense of how close it is.

Maybe bring your buddies skin and try it over the L/XL inner bag.

Also, If you do need the larger suit, I think John @ NESS has a NOS Whites Fusion Bullet 2XL/3XL if that is of interest to you.

Thanks @-JD- I appreciate the offer. I was told aqualung was being super picky with the core material and didn’t ship Aircores all summer due to waiting on the correct material.

@Marie13 does aqualung/apeks allow you to order with the mix and match sizes on shell and core.

Thanks @-JD- I appreciate the offer. I was told aqualung was being super picky with the core material and didn’t ship Aircores all summer due to waiting on the correct material.

@Marie13 does aqualung/apeks allow you to order with the mix and match sizes on shell and core.

I ordered my suit the first week of August and had to wait a month for it.

Mike with DRIS told me that that different sizes of skin and core can be ordered.

I am 6'1", 180", and I just squeak into the L/XL. Feels like I am going to scrape my face pulling the neck ring up or down over my head. I think that size core would be a huge mistake for you.

I have not tried the mix and match size trick, but have been thinking it. My Aqualung rep suggested it too. For you, I would be concerned Kevlar would not stretch enough. Do you really need that? Heavy, and takes forever to dry.

Yes, you can order with mismatched sizes, but I believe it will be Made To Order pricing and not standard price.

But... Here is your option - order a Sport, and then order the skin you really want. I haven't checked the Kevlar math, but right now at MSRP it costs $50 less to buy a Sport suit and a second Bullet skin than to buy just the Bullet suit. Sport plus Tech skin is only $50 more than just the Tech suit.

Haven't seen 2019 pricing yet, so do it now just in case. And if anyone in Chicago area wants to order a combo like that, PM me your email and I'll send a quote.

I’ve had a few people ask how the suit is doing? I’m now officially into the off season.

Had a couple of quarry dives (5 hours from home) a few weeks ago. That’s it for the season aside from a possible New Year’s Day dive depending on weather.

Now it’s once a month pool work until April when the local quarry opens.

Update:

Socks on my Fusion are leaking. My Fourth Element Arctic socks have been wet after each monthly pool session this winter, but yesterday, they were soaked. I was able to wring a bit of water out of them. I examined the suit socks closely and it sort of looks like the material is fraying. I emailed Mike at DRIS (my shop) to let him know what’s going on and that my suit will be brought in tomorrow.

Friend has the same issue. Her Fusion is a few months older than mine. She also said the sock material looked to be fraying. We’re both having our socks replaced with neoprene socks because we both have small feet and Fusion socks are huge on us. She uses Chuck Taylors, I use the soft Fusion boots. We both have to pull up the socks (extra material around the ankle) they’re so big. I have at least several inches of extra at the toe.

Quarry opens April 6. Hope I can get my suit back in time!

Reactions: Zef
Update:

Socks on my Fusion are leaking. My Fourth Element Arctic socks have been wet after each monthly pool session this winter, but yesterday, they were soaked. I was able to wring a bit of water out of them. I examined the suit socks closely and it sort of looks like the material is fraying. I emailed Mike at DRIS (my shop) to let him know what’s going on and that my suit will be brought in tomorrow.

Friend has the same issue. Her Fusion is a few months older than mine. She also said the sock material looked to be fraying. We’re both having our socks replaced with neoprene socks because we both have small feet and Fusion socks are huge on us. She uses Chuck Taylors, I use the soft Fusion boots. We both have to pull up the socks (extra material around the ankle) they’re so big. I have at least several inches of extra at the toe.

Quarry opens April 6. Hope I can get my suit back in time!

Did you keep the black plastic insert in the dry socks?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom