Confirm or Deny please!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba Susie

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have read the Whale Shark Season near Koh Phi Phi is in March. Truth or Island Legend? And really....what are the REAL chances of seeing one? They boasted that about Lankayan and they hadn't seen one in a few years!
Skeptical Susie

I saw a whale shark at Hin Daeng which is a little further south of Ko Phi Phi in Feb last year. will be going out here again next month and hoping to see more !!!

Well, they come when they are good and ready! Chances are slim in reality. Could be they are early this year? Have been a few sightings in the last couple of weeks. The last 2 seasons, April has been the best month. Fingers crossed and be sure to actually dive the sites where they are most likely - Hin Daeng and Richelieu Rock.

Whale Sharks

Sorry David, you're too early in the year. Like Batfish says, the best chances are in March and espeically April, best sites being Hin Daeng/Muang and Richelieu Rock, with the last couple of years most sightings at Hin daeng. There have been some sightings already at Richelieu Rock this year.

We just had 2 whalesharks at Elephant Head rock in the similan islands last week. 1 was about 6mtrs & the other a baby at 4mtres. 2nd time they have been seen at that site so far this year. As for seeing them its All down to luck & right place at the right time.:D

I was diving Koh Phi Phi a couple of years ago and had three whale shark encounters during the first couple of weeks in November. Two in Palong Bay and one at Phi Phi Shark Point, also saw one at Richelieu Rock in December. Good Luck!

The whalesharks do not have a season (anymore) in Thailand; they are unfrequently seen year-round on most divesites. Before 1999 it was not unusual for a live-aboard crew to see up to 40 whalesharks in one-single season (october thru may) with peaks of sightings in the months March/April and May (especially at Richelieu Rock).
Nowadays we count ourselves lucky if we see 2 or 3 animals a season! Times surely have changed...
Stop looking for whalesharks during your dive and rather spend your energy looking for critters that still CAN be found on Thai reefs. Ornate ghostpipe fishes, tigertail seahorses, painted angler fishes, red bar anthias, harlequin shrimps, reef stone fish etc.
If a whaleshark DOES show up you will notice it, I promise!

Back
Top Bottom