Confused about dive rates

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

islanddream

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm hoping I don't look like a :dork2: by asking this question. My husband and I are talking about a trip in August to southeast Florida to check out the diving in the Jupiter - Boynton areas. When looking at dive shop websites, I'm a bit confused about dive rates. An example would be: 2-tank morning dive, $65. Tank rental, $15. So does that mean for a two-tank morning dive it'll cost $95?

Having never been diving in an area that states diving rates that way, I just need a bit of clarification. Thanks!

And while we're at it.....(you're going to HATE this!)....could you recommend several dive shops in the areas we're checking out? We're both AOW, nitrox certified, with almost 100 dives. We have all of our own equipment, except tanks and weights. Most have been drift dives. We prefer small boats....or if big boats, not more than 6 - 10 divers. We like to have fun!

Thanks!

Depends on the charter. Some of them have tanks included, others don't. Best to call and ask.

Jupiter would be Jupiter Dive Center, Captain Sl8tr (lots of good reviews) and also can do a shore dive at the Blue Heron Bridge, need to time it for slack though.

Based on my experiences in FL, yes, it does mean $15 per tank, therefore, you're paying $95 for a morning of diving (plus the tip.)

My favourite dive op is Underwater Explorers in Boynton Beach. The boat's a 6-pack and Kevin, the owner, will generally get in the water with you, or leave you alone with a dive flag to do your own thing. Very roomy, professional, and fun!

Have a great time. :)

ive dived with jupiter dive center. pretty good operation and they will let you and your buddy do your own thing if you have your own smb. price does not include tanks. make sure you use nitrox as most people on the boat do or you will have very short dive times as the reef is a constant 24 meters. its usually just a drift dive along the reef either north or south. mostly hard corals and sponges, some fish, turtles and ocassionally sharks. theres one time of year they get tons of lemon sharks but i forget when.

I'm hoping I don't look like a :dork2: by asking this question. My husband and I are talking about a trip in August to southeast Florida to check out the diving in the Jupiter - Boynton areas. When looking at dive shop websites, I'm a bit confused about dive rates. An example would be: 2-tank morning dive, $65. Tank rental, $15. So does that mean for a two-tank morning dive it'll cost $95?

Having never been diving in an area that states diving rates that way, I just need a bit of clarification. Thanks!

And while we're at it.....(you're going to HATE this!)....could you recommend several dive shops in the areas we're checking out? We're both AOW, nitrox certified, with almost 100 dives. We have all of our own equipment, except tanks and weights. Most have been drift dives. We prefer small boats....or if big boats, not more than 6 - 10 divers. We like to have fun!

Thanks!

Hi islanddream,

Others answered your dive cost question, most dives are plus tanks (plus tip, of course). My two favorite operators have been mentioned also, Underwater Explorers and Jupiter Dive Center. Underwater Explorers meets your requirements exactly, good size, comfortable boat, with no more than 6 divers.

The Lemon Sharks in Jupiter are in the winter though they did not show in great numbers this year. For your visit in August, you may catch the Goliath Grouper aggregation. The wreck of the Castor, in Boynton Beach, is spectacular covered with these giants.

Enjoy your visit to SE FL,

Craig

I've been with Jupiter Dive Center a few times and like it, but you may also want to check out Emerald Charters. They offer a three tank dive with a boxed lunch and have been seeing hammerhead lately.

Thanks to all who've answered my questions about the cost of dives and some good dive shops. I've checked out Jupiter Dive Center, Calypso Dive Charters, Capt. SL8R Charters, and Splashdown Divers. I'll definitely check out Underwater Explorers and Emerald Charters.

Wow, I'd love to see a Goliath Grouper! I enjoy seeing pictures of them on ScubaBoard and look forward to seeing them on a dive. They look huge....I hope they're friendly!

Just so you understand why the pricing in the area is different from other vacation locations....

A high percentage of the divers will be local people rather than vacationers. Many of them will own their own tanks and bring them to the boat. It therefore makes sense for the operators to quote the trip and the tanks separately.

Just so you understand why the pricing in the area is different from other vacation locations....

A high percentage of the divers will be local people rather than vacationers. Many of them will own their own tanks and bring them to the boat. It therefore makes sense for the operators to quote the trip and the tanks separately.

That's kind of what I figured and it makes sense. Thanks!

I would call the dive operators to verify pricing. I would think it would be $15 for both tanks. I mean obviously you either have your own tanks or you need 2 tanks. Otherwise it would say $65 + $15 per tank. However, there will probably be a $6-12 per tank up charge for nitrox. Again, the best way to be sure is to call the operators and ask. Then please post what you find out so we all know.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom