Confused with what my LDS is directing me towards?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Geobound

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi Folks,

I have a longwinded question that I'm hoping some Ontario divers can answer (or at least cold water divers), but I will take any knowledgeable answer from anyone really. LOL.....

My question isn't about price or brand loyalty, but rather why would my LDS try and steer me from one package to another?

As a general comment I really like the people there and find them quite helpful and receptive to any of my "noob" questions, but I feel uncomfortable asking them this........mainly because I still may not understand?

So here is what the two packages they are offering........

1) Apeks XTX200, Egress or XTX20 Octo, 3 gage inline console and an Axiom I3 BCD.

2) Scubapro MK17/G260 or MK17/S600, R195 or R905 Octo, 3 gauge inline console, Equator BCD, Aladin Sport dive computer.

The prices are close enough (if you take the cost of the computer out of the equation) that a few dollars one way or another doesn't really matter.

If I take either package as described then I am eligible for their "parts for life" program, so that's not a concern.

I'm obviously a new diver and was going for the Scubapro package (for no other reason than I knew that their regs were designed for cold water.......and their BCD looks good), but options aplenty have confuse the brain.

The dive shop is telling me that the Apeks is better suited for me, and am wondering if that's true, and if so why?

There doesn't appear to be any fitting issues with either regs, or BCD's, so I don't know how they can determine that its "better suited" for me?

I work in a world with multiple vendors that offer rebates based on sales dollars, so I'm leaning towards them getting a better rebate from Apeks than they are from Scubapro.

Does that seem logical, or am I missing some good intentions of their behalf and my newness has me second guessing them?

Thanks for your time.

John

Profit!

Both option are great, but overkill to a new diver.....but go for it if cashola is not an option. Get rid of the SPG and go solo PSI and add a dive computer.

XTX50 would be as good as XTX200 and less expensive.

Ditch the console. Wrist computer and an analog SPG

And for heaven’s sake, do NOT get the i3 thingy. It’s not needed. You can get the same BC without it.

You picked the two most expensive brands on the planet. They make fantastic stuff, but if it's only 5% better why does it cost 200% as much? Lol

He might be pushing you one way over another because of whatever promo he got. Sometimes if I buy 12 sets of gear I get 6 sets for free. Well, if I sell that free set at full retail, I've made bank.

Get it?

Honestly, I'd keep looking. You can literally buy two sets of gear for what apeks or SP costs. And I like them both. I even have both, but save your money man.

Both are great brands. I used to be a SP guy, not Apeks and I've found them to be bombproof. Yes, there are less expensive brands, but if you can comfortably manage the cost, why would you want anything less the best.

I agree with the others though.... ditch the console. Replace it with a single, brass SPG, a wrist computer, and a wrist compass if you like.

Thanks for the quick replies. WOW

I guess I should have said that I have a Suunto D4i on its way, that's why I wasn't too bothered about the computer.

LOL on the I3 comment. I typed the I3 as that's what the package included, but I'm sure I can get them to give it to me without. I will do a search and see why people hate that system so much?

As much as I didn't want to turn this into a money thread, both packages are about $2k CDN or $1500.00 US, just how much cheaper can some of the other "good" kits be?

I'm seeing Mares packages for similar pricing as above, and Zeagle for a few hundred less?

Don't get me wrong I'm no Daddy Warbucks, but I'm also a believer in buying once rather than 2 or 3 times and spending more money?

Sounds like some of you (well most really) are suggesting I look at other brands.........so what should that be?

As for the DS steering me towards Apeks, it would seem that it's just a money thing for them and nothing more......buggers! LOL.....

I wouldn't consider Mares or Zeagle good. But that's just me. :)

Back
Top Bottom