Confused with what my LDS is directing me towards?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

XTX50 would be as good as XTX200
Almost, but not quite. The 2nd stages are technically indistinguishable, but the 200 1st stage has replaceable seats which makes it more service-friendly. At least according to my local service technician. There are also some other differences between the 50, 100 and 200 1sts, typically wrt number of ports and their location.

Whether or not those differences justify the added cost of a 200 (or a 100) is a personal judgment

Speaking from a technical standpoint, both are great cold water regs.
And DEFINITELY avoid the i3 as noted above. There is a potential safety issue that has been discussed in this thread:
Interesting advice from BCD manufacturer Post #27
The non-i3 model is fine.

You may find the S600 less mouth heavy than either the G260 or the Apeks. On the other hand, those latter two are lifetime rugged.

If you're buying for long term hold, the 200's replaceable high pressure seat is a technical improvement that will allow your reg to last 30+ years. The same feature is present on the Scubapro Mk17. As a service tech, I would not choose the Apeks 50,100 for that reason alone.

From a service standpoint, you've got two close packages. And both are better than the Mares or Zeagle, IMHO. Many might differ.

Concur with the comments about skipping a console in favor of a single SPG. You'll have computer, anyway. $80 wrist mount compass or computer compass will be better for navigation.

You're not being steered far astray by your LDS. Some minor beefs as outlined by others who have commented, but both sets are good stuff.

My 2¢

The i3 is proprietary which lends itself to being more difficult to fix and replace. There have been inadvertent and accidental inflations when it gets caught on something.

Apeks regulators are very good diaphragm ones. I’d continue looking at them. Also consider Aqua Lung if you are in the market for diaphragm. But don’t feel like you have to have a package set by the shop. Buy what you really want and see if they will work with you on a package consisting of things you want, not the other way around. I’m not a fan of Aqua Lung BCs due to their weight pocket system. I’ve had problems with them coming dislodged and have observed this from students as well as having heard of this with others on the boards. They come undone easily and not in a purposeful manner.

Oh, yeah. Forgot about that. The SureLock II system is an improvement, but Scubapro's weight pocket latches are superior.
+1 to @outofofficebrb !

Thank you! It’s good you should mention Scubapro! I have a Scubapro BC and it is a very purposeful motion to ditch weights comparatively. A pinch of the large and easy to find male/female clips is all it takes. There is also a very reassuring snap sound and visual confirmation that it is in place and secure when loading them since the mechanism is on the outside.

I find securing the Aqua Lung ones challenging. I keep waiting for the feel or sound of the click from the mechanism inside the BC and sometimes you can barely tell when that happens.

The ARCAP on Apeks FSR 1st stage, usually couple with XTX200, is a very good idea. Pity that the design is only available for its top of the line 1st stage. Does it merit the extra laid out? No or Yes! If money is no object then sure go for it otherwise DST/DS4 couple with XTX50 are more than adequate for nay purposes. My DS4/TX50 is nearly 20yrs old and still going strong for either rec or tec dive.

I have a FSR which I bought it used. And it is the only Apeks 1st stage that I have confidence to buy 2nd handed. If the valve seat is damaged/corroded or whatnot due to neglect/carelessness etc, easily to replace. If that happens to other models then you would have hard time to keep the IP lock up after a while. Apeks polishing tool is expensive and there is limit that you can "polish" off the rust.

As a fellow Canadian diver, I cannot recommend anything that AL puts out with the i3 system. It's a good idea, and as a new diver that had trouble with dumping air when horizontal, I thought I'd give it a go. Bad idea.

What I can say is this....other than the hose kink issue, which I have yet to experience, it would likely be a great system if you only planned on diving in the tropics....in a shorty....without gloves. In cold water (all Canadian water is cold if you plan on diving below 15 feet) you need gloves. The deeper you dive, the thicker the glove you need. I've found that with the i3 system, adding or dumping air through the i3 valve risks disconnecting the inflator hose altogether as your gloved (and fattened) finger is too close to the retaining ring and you may inadvertently disconnect the hose when adding or dumping air. You can't feel the extra thickness that the gloves provide, and the valve is too close to where the inflator hose connects. I've had two dives on this suit (out of 11 dives with it altogether) where I have disconnected the hose inadvertently, without actually trying to. On one dive, I got a quad cramp and couldn't shake it, so I had to surface. I surfaced from 30 feet on one leg, and when I surfaced, I found that I had disconnected the inflator hose and couldn't inflate my BC. Had I been in a panic situation, this could have ended badly. Thankfully I found the hose and hooked it back up and inflated the BC (there's only so far an inflator hose can go, but when it's not clipped in to the hose like on most regular BC's, it can wander a bit farther away).

Plus, being from the great white north, maybe you plan on taking an ice diving course. I can say that using an i3 BC in an ice diving course is a stupid idea. We're taught to roll to the left when exiting the water. Rolling to the left puts our entire body weight directly onto the i3 lever. I won't use my i3 BC when ice diving, ever again. I'd rather not kill the lever and have to replace it.

Thank you! It’s good you should mention Scubapro! I have a Scubapro BC and it is a very purposeful motion to ditch weights comparatively. A pinch of the large and easy to find male/female clips is all it takes. There is also a very reassuring snap sound and visual confirmation that it is in place and secure when loading them since the mechanism is on the outside.

I find securing the Aqua Lung ones challenging. I keep waiting for the feel or sound of the click from the mechanism inside the BC and sometimes you can barely tell when that happens.
I'm far from being an Aqua Lung fanboy, but if you can't tell when the weight pockets are engaging, perhaps your hearing isn't what it used to be? That's the one thing that really impresses me about the sure lock system......people 20 feet away can hearmy weight pockets engaging.

I wouldn't consider Mares or Zeagle good. But that's just me. :)

The high-end Mares regs are pretty good, imho. Of course, it also depends on the kind of the deal that would be offered to the OP.

I'm seeing Mares packages for similar pricing as above, and Zeagle for a few hundred less?

Can you describe the Mares package?

get the xtx40 or higher for octo since you are in canada, a bit more freeze resistant than the xtx20. and if you want to stick to gear from the shop, apeks sells a decent 30lb wing and steel plate. but it will come at a premium price.

ditch the console since you are getting a dive computer. d4i wouldn't be my first choice, but since you already bought it, it will work.

i would look into a cheaper dive rite bpw or piece one together from a vdh wing/dgx plate instead, some deep 6 or hog regs, and then use the savings towards a drysuit. that will make the biggest difference for your diving in ontario.

Back
Top Bottom