Confusion on Backscatter Filters for GoPro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Buadhai

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
I bought a package from Backscatter for my GoPro which includes the Macro lens and three filters.

The filters are labeled:
  • Shallow 5-20 feet
  • Dive 20-50 feet
  • Deep 50+ feet
What confuses me is that the "Shallow" filter appears to be significantly darker red than the "Dive" filter. (The "Deep" filter is much darker.)

Am I missing something here? Shouldn't the filters get progressively redder for greater depths?

I used the "Shallow" filter on some dives last week at depths to 30 meters and it seemed to work fine. Although the results were a bit blue, that was easily corrected and I'm quite happy with both the stills and video.

Attached is a screenshot from the Backscatter website.
  • On the left is the "Deep" filter for 50+ feet.
  • In the middle is the "Shallow" filter for 5-20 feet
  • On the right is the "Dive" filter for 20-50 feet
As expected, the "Shallow" filter is the lightest red.

screenshot 2017-01-28 at 09.18.20.jpg

Still confused.

Filters for light aren't like paint. They're not additive, they are subtractive.

That being said, while the colour is an indication, it isn't always what you think....

_R

I bought a package from Backscatter for my GoPro which includes the Macro lens and three filters.

The filters are labeled:
  • Shallow 5-20 feet
  • Dive 20-50 feet
  • Deep 50+ feet
What confuses me is that the "Shallow" filter appears to be significantly darker red than the "Dive" filter. (The "Deep" filter is much darker.)

Am I missing something here? Shouldn't the filters get progressively redder for greater depths?

I used the "Shallow" filter on some dives last week at depths to 30 meters and it seemed to work fine. Although the results were a bit blue, that was easily corrected and I'm quite happy with both the stills and video.
I've been using Photoshop for years to correct the color, and save myself money on filters...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom