http://www.diveheart.org/

Congrats! Tech Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

telemonster

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Congrats to Matt! Saw the video, and was happy to see it finally became a reality.

As for the great whites...

I noticed the ventilator was kept on the surface. If the ventalator setup was split (inhale/exhale), waterproofed and added to a rebreather setup, wouldn't it be possible to go unteathered? It should be possible to use flow detectors (perhaps optically encoded wheels) to feed a microcontroller to provide a monitoring solution on top of the standard redundant computers on the rebreather. Of course this would bring more risk as it's a longer journey to the surface.

Or it might be easier to take a two hose regulator setup from an open circuit rig, and do the same thing, eliminating the ppo2 and other potential hazards.

Unteathered, Matt and Dad should both be able to enjoy a dive together?

What details am I missing? How complex is the ventalator machine and how much difficulty would it be modifying one to work underwater? Would placement become an issue due to pressure differences?

The technical side of me always kicks in!

Thanks

Telemonster...this is similar to what Matt was working on with Jerry, who past away last year. Any help you can give him to work out the details about this would be greatly appreciated by Matt. I'm sure he'll kick in on this conversation to give his side, but it might be better to call him. PM me and I'll give you his phone number.

Good Diving,
Capt Gary

Hi Telemonster,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. If you could PM me with your phone number, I can explain things to you. The vent has been tested down to 33 feet equal to 2 atmospheres. I do have housing built for the vent to hook up the rebreather.

I can send you a diagram and vent manual, if you'd like.

Well, this is all definitely doable.

My Dad manages the vent, he doesn't dive. It would just be my dive team and I that dive.

It would be awsome to have the vent and rebreather on my back. I'd be more independent and able to go deeper and longer.

I look forward to talking to you. Matt

Hello, sorry I do not have practical rebreather experience, I've just read up a bit on them and have a basic understanding. Never used one myself, but I'm a bit of a technical geek and always thinking up ways to accomplish things. It sounds like you are well on your way to the setup I had imagined, so kudos! You could probably run a double hose reg type setup, and eliminate the complexities of a rebreather as well? Look forward to hearing about your next adventure!

Back
Top Bottom