Connecticut/RI in late June - worth bringing my gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dberry

Hydrophilic
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I will be driving up from Phila to Providence, RI for work in late June, and am wondering if its worth staying up there on Friday to jump in the water. I can bring my gear and tanks, but I'd need to find an insta-buddy, and either an accessible shore or recommended boat op. Wetsuit, single tank, back mount, nitrox... Not wreck certified (although wife thinks I AM a wreck). Any suggestions ?

(If diving on Friday makes things difficult, I might be able to stretch it through Saturday... "but honey, the GW bridge will be a nightmare on Friday evening")

Thanks.
-Don

No offense meant to Connecticut but if you get a chance diving RI is worth it...

If you really wanted to be crazy you could go dive up in MA - Cape Ann which would be better but more driving and out of the way...

RI Shore dives can be found here - MIT Scuba Club

Fort Wetherill near Newport is OK. There are a couple of spots in the ocean in Newport area as well. RI state parks no fees. Connecticut---shallower. Hammonassett State Park OK (Meigs Point)--Think $15-20 fee for non residents. Pleasure Beach (near Niantic-- New London area) is OK-boat ramp and no fee.
Is any of the shore diving worth hauling gear up there--I would say not really, unless you're just dying to dive somewhere.

I'll be in Providence; I only mentioned CT because it's on the way from Philadelphia to RI. I've been to Newport for sailing many times over the years, but wasn't diving back then. I was hoping for something well south of Beantown, mainly to avoid traffic and a long drive back home.

Any chance of finding water temps near 60F at the end of June, or is that wishful thinking?

---------- Post added May 12th, 2015 at 12:52 PM ----------

Is any of the shore diving worth hauling gear up there--I would say not really, unless you're just dying to dive somewhere.
Well, it'll only be 2 weeks after diving in Cozumel, so it's not going to be life-changing, but I've got room in the trunk of my car for the gear. I'd rather not say I'm "dying" to dive (terrible phrase, that), but at this point in my limited career I've haven't been on a dive that wasn't worth it. What about dive boats out of RI?

Fort Wetherill would be my suggestion as well. As far as water temps, you can check the following site for Newport's water temp. Water temps should be in the 60s in June late June. NDBC - Station NWPR1 Vis at FW is iffy and up and down. You always take your chances with the vis. Could be a couple feet, could be 10-15 or more.

I will add only this - I am assuming a lot based on your profile. 0 - 24 dives.

I tell my son this all the time - you only get better by diving more and in varied environments under different conditions. Putting your gear in the car - assuming you have room in the car costs you nothing. Getting to meet someone from Scubaboard that can show you how to shore dive under different conditions than you are used to is "priceless" (ok maybe not but you get the idea). The more you dive and see different terrain, conditions and viz - the better a diver you become in all aspects - in my opinion.

Philly does not have a rocky coast like RI and MA - I can spend hours between 10 and 30 feet just looking at the features and plant life (I am originally from Boston). NJ and below do not have the same type of diving - yes it is salt water but the entry and conditions are completely different than Key West or Cozumel. Take advantage of it when you can - if you can dive NE you can essentially dive anywhere with local knowledge.

In the end it is your decision but given your still early in your diving experience - I would say - have a go at it... You may be surprised, learn something new or meet a friend and if not - no harm no foul...

No worries about interpreting my profile... and I've no illusions about my lack of experience. I just want to dive everywhere I can, as much as I can, within the serious constraints of family and work life. Which is why I made the post. More experience = good. Thanks for the encouragement! -Don

Hi Don,

I'm late responding to your posts but thought that I'd chime in about various diving activities going on in RI. Check out the Giant Stride Dive Shop List of Events that includes everything from local shore dives for newer divers to technical diving charters. I'll be leading a shore dive at Ft Adams next Sunday (14 June 2015) and you are certainly welcome to join in.

Don, I maybe able to dive with you. I can certainly set you up with most of the gear you need. My recommendation would be Newport RI. Fort Wetherill has lousy vis most of the time. Kings Beach Newport is just as "easy" to dive and most days has twice the vis as Fort W. Contact me of you wish, I'll be out of work at least another week maybe 2 weeks. Giant Strides is dive shop to deal with if you need a LDS.

Go with afterdark he knows the area. I would suggest Green Bridge and King's Beach. Wetherill isn't terrible, but you will have a better time in Newport. Wetherill would be better if you want to hit an easy night dive on the way out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom