Connecting Strobe to Underwater Housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for your help. I called Intova and they were very helpful. The solution was easy once I took the strobe and housing to my dive shop. I got everything attached and all is working good. I tried the strobe in the dive shop with the dive master as the "judge." He said the timing looked great. I guess the real test is when I go underwater with it.

As far as leakage: So far I have not had any trouble with leaks. However, what I did find out is that it does not work at around 100'. I took it to the Caribbean on a dive trip, went down to about 90-100' and the shutter button froze on me. I thought I had ruined the housing and the camera, but when I resurfaced, and waited a few minutes, it was all good again. I guess the pressure past 90 ft was too much. So, I doubt it's rating of 130'.

Hey, B,

Light travels over a fiber optic cable at almost/I] the speed of light . . . I'm a engineer, so we say almost, but it's close enough to the speed of light. :wink:

The one end is attached to the camera housing (I assume as Shayne says, by a velcro patch) directly over the camera's flash. The other end is attached to the strobe. When the camera flashes, the flash also goes over the cable, and triggers a sensor in the strobe, which sets it off.

I have read on this forum that people add additional tape to the housing to block the flash's forward movement, so that the camera flash does not illuminate back scatter.

I don't have a strobe yet, but we have the same camera and case. Have you read this, yet? http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/canon-corner/315202-canon-housing-leaks-easy-diy-fix.html

Thanks for the input. I finally got it to work. Nothing more than a small O-ring. problem. I tested out in my dive shop and the dive master said it seemed to work well. Of course the real test will come when I take it underwater. I appreciate your help and advice.

hello,

I have myself a iss 4000 from intova that goes with the same company camera...mmmm you did a good choice with the camera not the strobe ! it will not fire fire properly even if you set everything perfect, the laps is very long between the flash of the camera and the actual flash of the strobe so you will end up with two different flash over lie 3 seconds(it doesn't travel at the speed of light believe me) . I am pretty sure that the iss 4000 will only work with intova camera thats your main problem as you discover yourself.

I took over 300 picture over two dive trip the iss 4000 is useless don't bother get a ikelite or sealife it will be worth the bucks !

Hi Guy's.
I have recently purhased an Iss 4000 to use with my canon g12 in a canon housing.
I have set it up and now find I cannot sync it with the camera flash,I have tried all four settings as per instructions to no avail.
After reading some of the above posts I am beginning to wonder if it will work at all??.
Any suggestions would be welcome
lostdog.

Hi Guy's.
I have recently purhased an Iss 4000 to use with my canon g12 in a canon housing.
I have set it up and now find I cannot sync it with the camera flash,I have tried all four settings as per instructions to no avail.
After reading some of the above posts I am beginning to wonder if it will work at all??.
Any suggestions would be welcome
lostdog.

Are you using a sync cord, or just relying on the strobe's sensor?

I am using a sync cord mounted to the appropriate positions as per instructions .
lostdog.

First, make sure the end of the sync cable is properly aligned over the strobe's sensor.

Then, switch your camera to manual mode and set the flash to full power. Set the strobe to no preflash and fire away. If it works, dial the camera flash back to 2/3's power and see if it still fires the strobe. If it does, you're probably good. I wouldn't recommend dropping the camera flash to 1/3 power. The strobe probably won't fire reliably.

A near perfect way to tell if your strobe is synced is to go into a dark room with a mirror.

Aim the camera at the mirror and fire. Check the picture.

If not synced, you'll see the camera body lit from the internal flash, but the strobe will be dark. Check your strobe manual to determine if pre-flash is applicable. This is also a good way to see what light is escaping around the internal flash block that could produce back scatter.

If synced, you'll see the strobe fully lit up.

Hope this helps as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom