Connecting transmitter pod to 1st stage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am using the first config.

I am not 100% but I think in this particular context HP hose spool/swivel are just different terminology to designate the same object.
The HP hose has a swivel on one end, the spool is necessary to create the seal when connecting the device to the swivel end. The two terms are not the same item - they are two components of the connection.

My config as shown in the original photo...
6F6B4E26-CBD1-4E7E-BEAC-DFBA40DEE107.jpeg

I just screw it into the first, I don’t like it swing around on the end of a hose but I have tried it and for me it seemed like I could more easily damage it on the hose, I’m rarely in a position where anyone else will handle my gear.

Isn't the short rubber hose pretty stiff?

I set up my own gear as much as possible, as it's good practice, but I did find the one liveaboard I was on had a tendency for full service, so rather than disrupting their normal work flow, I let them set up for me. I always check before don'ing, of course. I also found that some DM's had a tendency to set up, perhaps due to past experience with some clients that had trouble.

Why would you set your gear up more than once on a liveaboard?

He means people touching your first stages: for example if someone lift your kit ...

From my understanding, this is the time when some people grab the transmitter rather than the tank neck and can cause damage.

Isn't the short rubber hose pretty stiff?

No stiffer than the HP hose on SPG.

From my understanding, this is the time when some people grab the transmitter rather than the tank neck and can cause damage.

Yes generally when gear is being handled. Especially when using inflatables and havign to pass your gear up

Even if the TX isn't grabbed there is the real possibility of it bing knocked or damaged

Again there is no perfect config, one should adapt ones kit to suit the demands and environment in which the're diving.

I'm certain if I stat on a boat in Coz or FL my single tank rig would raise eyebrows - Because it's oversized for one with and assortment of other bits and pieces attached. But its rigged and adapted for diving in areas of big currents and frequent down currents etc, and so is adapted as thus.

Pro's and cons with all configs no matter how small, the diver just needs to think which is best for them and whether the upsides counter the downsides

My config as shown in the original photo...
View attachment 559532

That's the same configuration I use on my set up, but after some time (half a season) the o rings in the spool do need cleaning or you get a bit of gunk in there causing little bubbles. What I found while cleaning is that the tiny o-ring can get stuck in the neck of the Pod, not come out with the spool, and require fishing out with some care!

I think he means once it's set up its done. Fills are done with a whip so there's no need to lift anything, just take the first stage off.

Yes, refills are done by disconnecting and reconnecting the first stage. Then there's the handling of the gear, transferring it back and forth between the tender.

This was a review on Amazon of a 6" HP hose...

"Hose and connections seems to be good quality. I used it as a HP wireless transmitter extension because the ScubaPro MK17 is a small first stage regulator. On my second boat dive in Bonaire the o-ring blew out where the transmitter meets the 6" extension hose and almost had to sit out the dive. I was able to fix the issue by pulling the strain reliefs back out of the way to allow room for the transmitter. The o-ring does not have a good place to seat. VERY GLAD THE O-RING DIDN'T BURST ON THE DEEPER DIVES!! THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN BAD!!"

Did this person not put an air spool between the hose and the transmitter?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom