Connecting transmitter pod to 1st stage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This was a review on Amazon of a 6" HP hose...

"Hose and connections seems to be good quality. I used it as a HP wireless transmitter extension because the ScubaPro MK17 is a small first stage regulator. On my second boat dive in Bonaire the o-ring blew out where the transmitter meets the 6" extension hose and almost had to sit out the dive. I was able to fix the issue by pulling the strain reliefs back out of the way to allow room for the transmitter. The o-ring does not have a good place to seat. VERY GLAD THE O-RING DIDN'T BURST ON THE DEEPER DIVES!! THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN BAD!!"

Did this person not put an air spool between the hose and the transmitter?
Sounds like no spool was used. I use the transmitter directly on a 17, the 17EVO needs a hose or short extension fitting.

This was a review on Amazon of a 6" HP hose...

"Hose and connections seems to be good quality. I used it as a HP wireless transmitter extension because the ScubaPro MK17 is a small first stage regulator. On my second boat dive in Bonaire the o-ring blew out where the transmitter meets the 6" extension hose and almost had to sit out the dive. I was able to fix the issue by pulling the strain reliefs back out of the way to allow room for the transmitter. The o-ring does not have a good place to seat. VERY GLAD THE O-RING DIDN'T BURST ON THE DEEPER DIVES!! THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN BAD!!"

Did this person not put an air spool between the hose and the transmitter?
He probably didn’t realise he should put one.

Also out of all the hoses the HP one is actually the safest to leak if the leak is after the first stage connection to your hose.

Is there any downside to using a small hose to attach a Suunto pod to my 1st stage?
I'm trying to prevent damage if someone lifts my gear by the yolk and pod on a dive boat.
Thanks
that is how I rigged my xmitter when i used one i used a longer HP hose to reach where the spg would clip on to the D ring.

Random thought that went through my mind recently... This seems as good a place as any to post it:

Is there a "Y-Splitter" which would allow me to attach both an SPG AND an AI Transmitter to the same HP Hose? Something from my memory of college physics tells me they might each only get half of the pressure.

Random thought that went through my mind recently... This seems as good a place as any to post it:

Is there a "Y-Splitter" which would allow me to attach both an SPG AND an AI Transmitter to the same HP Hose? Something from my memory of college physics tells me they might each only get half of the pressure.
Lots of them, but usually used on the first stage, not on the end of a hose.
Y & Multi Hose Adapters Piranha Dive Shop |
They will each see all the pressure....you are thinking of sharing the volume flow, but there is no volume flow, just pressure.
Frankly, I think you are over-thinking it. Just put the dang transmitter directly on your first stage, especially if it is yellow, and be done with it. If you feel you must have an SPG too, you have two HP ports, just put one one. I, like many folks, have a button gauge on the first stage as well as the transmitter. The button gauge is nice when gearing up so you can see if the tank is full. I trust the transmitter more than the SPG, so am comfortable with no redundancy. If I should lose the signal permanently, the dive is over. And there is always air left to do that otherwise I'd have already surfaced.

I will probably forego an SPG and just end the dive if the transmitter disconnects. I hope that doesn't ever happen, though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom