Conshelf 22 port sizes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here is my 90's Conshelf 22 and the first stage. Mine has only 3/8" ports. Still a great reg. One of my kids is using the first stage with my Atomic B2 second stage.

IMG_20200109_180626.jpg
IMG_20200111_124607.jpg

The 2nd stage says 22 but I thought it was a 14 or 15.

My favorite is the legend. Breathes like you don't have a reg. I need to try the apeks legend and a700 side by side next time I go out. That would be good. I dove the titanium atomic for years but every legend I've tried just feels like another level to me.

Sorry for going partially OT. I need a clarification on these not-metric measures.
Here in Europe, a 10 mm screw, when measured, has a diameter of... 10 mm!!
Those "imperial" measurements in inches, instead, are quite unclear to me.
Let's start from the standard port for LP and HP hoses. In most regulators, the LP port is declared to be 3/8", and the HP port instead is declared to be 7/16".
Measuring them with a digital caliper I get these diameters:
3/8 => 0.36" (it should be 0.375)
7/16 => 0.42" (it should be 0.4375)
So we are almost there...
On the other side, I went to a local hardware store, and asked for a 3/8" nipple, and I got this object here:
3+8++NPTM+x+3+8++NPSM+Hex+Nipple_L.jpg

Which has a diameter much larger, approximately 0.656".
So I am not understanding: the measurements in inches used here in Europe for compressed air, gas or water connectors seem to be completely unrelated to the measurements in inches used for regulators.
Can you explain me what's the difference?

Sorry for going partially OT. I need a clarification on these not-metric measures.
Here in Europe, a 10 mm screw, when measured, has a diameter of... 10 mm!!
Those "imperial" measurements in inches, instead, are quite unclear to me.
Let's start from the standard port for LP and HP hoses. In most regulators, the LP port is declared to be 3/8", and the HP port instead is declared to be 7/16".
Measuring them with a digital caliper I get these diameters:
3/8 => 0.36" (it should be 0.375)
7/16 => 0.42" (it should be 0.4375)
So we are almost there...
On the other side, I went to a local hardware store, and asked for a 3/8" nipple, and I got this object here:
View attachment 560933
Which has a diameter much larger, approximately 0.656".
So I am not understanding: the measurements in inches used here in Europe for compressed air, gas or water connectors seem to be completely unrelated to the measurements in inches used for regulators.
Can you explain me what's the difference?

Measure the inside threaded dimension of the nipple you bought.

-Z

I think everyone refers to the hoses as 3/8 due to their od thread size. The id is likely 1/4” meaning a 1/4 an, npt or bsp is what is actually the fitting. The male and female are always slightly different so they will thread into each other.

I've not verified this. Just speculating because miflex advertises their internal hose diameter as .26". Warning: do not thread a npt fitting with tapered threads into your regulator. Likely regulators are A&N (Army Navy) fitting based on a historical guess and function.

Measure the inside threaded dimension of the nipple you bought.
I measured the Internal Diameter (ID) of a 3/8" female adaptor, where my 3/8" nipple fits perfectly. Such an ID is 0.588". So I do not understand why these "compressed air" adaptors and nipples are so far from their "nominal" size, whilst the hoses for regulators have an Outside Diameter (OD) which is quite close to the nominal values...
I also see that regulators use cylindrical screws, whilst on compressed-air or water components both cylindrical or conical screws are available (and of course they should not be mated).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom