Conshelf fans welcomed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Conshelf XIV is still listed on the Aqualung website. There is a picture of it also.

I've got 2.

I have a conshelf 21 and a XIV, both great. Bullet proof and they get bashed around alot but always work. They have to be one of the most reliable regs made, and they tend to breath very well also.

My XIV has been in service since '83. It still gets about 40- 50 dives a year and has never failed.
Tim

Calvinator:
Any Conshelves with 2 high pressure ports on the first stage??

Not to my knowledge, 3 or four LP ports depending on the version and 1 HP. OLD SCHOOL:)

rescuediver009:
Not to my knowledge, 3 or four LP ports depending on the version and 1 HP. OLD SCHOOL:)

Is it technicallay possible (or safe) to combine a Conshelf XIV's 2nd stage to a Legend's 1st stage? (Cause I'm sure that Legend's 1st stage has 2 HP ports.) And can we get this custom made combination anywhere?

Calvinator:
Is it technicallay possible (or safe) to combine a Conshelf XIV's 2nd stage to a Legend's 1st stage? (Cause I'm sure that Legend's 1st stage has 2 HP ports.) And can we get this custom made combination anywhere?

Yes you may combine the two. Just order the first stage and add it to your 2nd. I would recommend dropping the factory IP just a touch though. You could also use the SEA 1 stage if you are just looking for two HP ports.

Hallmac

Hallmac:
Yes you may combine the two. Just order the first stage and add it to your 2nd. I would recommend dropping the factory IP just a touch though. You could also use the SEA 1 stage if you are just looking for two HP ports.

Hallmac

2 questions:

1) Why wanna lower down the factory default IP settings? What's the purpose? I've always thought that factory's settings are ideal for most cases, if not all.
2) What's the SEA? What does it mean? Sorry, I'm new here, hence I don't quite get some abbreviations. Sorry.

Regards,
Calvin

Calvinator:
2 questions:

1) Why wanna lower down the factory default IP settings? What's the purpose? I've always thought that factory's settings are ideal for most cases, if not all.
2) What's the SEA? What does it mean? Sorry, I'm new here, hence I don't quite get some abbreviations. Sorry.

Regards,
Calvin

The factory HP is ideal... for most modern regs. The older ones used to run a little lower.
I think that the SEA was suggested because as I recall the Legend is an over balanced first stage and the Conshelf second stage is not balanced to accept and benfeit from the increase in intermediate pressure as you descend. Just like the Apeks. The SEA is a similar to conshelf first stage just with 2 HP ports. Another consideration is the Cousteau first stage as it is still on the Aqualung website, shown with the Glacia second stage.
http://www.aqualung.com/products/cousteau_glacia.html

Calvinator:
2 questions:

(1) Why wanna lower down the factory default IP settings? What's the purpose? I've always thought that factory's settings are ideal for most cases, if not all.

True however unfortunately most shops are not equipped to measure spring tension on the low pressure poppet. As it ages it loses closing pressure. With an over balanced 1st, as you descend it slightly increases the IP to assist your breathing under pressure. If the second stage had been set to breath as light as possible without free flow and the IP increases an older spring may not have the closing pressure to over come the incoming air and start free flowing. By lowering the IP slightly the spring has a little better chance of handling the demand and stopping flow when necessary. ( yes replacing the spring could also assist to a point) The new Legends have a balanced 2nd stage to handle this issue.

(2) What's the SEA? What does it mean? Sorry, I'm new here, hence I don't quite get some abbreviations. Sorry.

It is a series name that was used with the Micra, Impulse, and some of the conshelf 2nds. It is chrome and has the same appearance as the new Legend 1st stage without the angled ports. It is a balanced diaphragm with two Hp ports opposite of each other and 4 Lp ports. 2 on each side.

Hallmac

Back
Top Bottom