Conshelf vs Mk5

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Luis,

You are spot on with that recollection of the Connies not getting the respect they deserved back in the 1970s. In my town there were two competing dive shops, one handled SP and US Divers/Aqualung, the other Dacor and AMF/Voit/Swimaster. I learned from an instructor and dive master who were SP fanatics (the DM even dove a SP Pilot). Being a poor high schooler at the time, I purchased an old Healthways ScubaAir J as my first regulator. I was the predecessor to SP's first regulator. I lusted after the AMF MR-12 II, and the SP regulators my teachers used, however when it was time to pony up and buy myself a commercial duty regulator, it was the Connies that I turned to, as their reliability and ability to take abuse and keep on working is legendary.

I still have a soft spot in my heart for the SP Mk5/R109 and SP MkVII/Pilot, as well as the MR-12 II, and of course those old Connies: the Conshelf XI, XII, XIV. My collection includes all, and when I decide to dive a vintage single hose, it is almost always one of those I just mentioned.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom