Conshelf yoke thread specs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mudhog

Reaction score
I'm working on a project and the measurements I have recieved lead me to believe this thread is a 13/16 20NEF. Can anyone conferm this?
Thanks in advance.

which thread exactly are you looking at? Are you making a din adapter?
to screw onto the thread that the yoke mounts to... retained by a circlip?

or do you want the handwheel thread?
I have one here I can measure if you like

Ok the threads are 20TPI with a 60 deg included angle, making them compatable with UN series... the major diam is 0.7750 taken from the unthreaded part.. this puts it between 49/64 (0.7656) and 25/32(0.7812) for the major... and a 20 TPI UN thread should have a depth of 0.045 so subtract this x2 for the minor.

You are probably looking at a custom thread the major you give of 13/16 seems way off at 0.8125 being 0.0375 over the actual... look in machinery's handbook for a full list of standard threads... of course you could cut the actual thread on any suitable lathe fairly easily...

all dims in inches

Shoulda mentioned, I have a Southbend out in the shop, and as of yesterday I have a Conshelf yoke and body too. :D
Thanks for responding Rob

A long overdue correction, your math is good, but in practice the crown of the threads is flattened or rounded, so when mic'd you get a smaller than theoritical reading.

Cool, good for you..
send some pics when you get a chance :) I started work on a reg of mine and a friends design, just for laughs using a balanced shuttle valve.. We were having trouble with getting the HP seat to seal last time I pressurized it, but have since acquired some square section o-rings that we want to try. looks like a typical prototype at the moment with stuff soldered on and bodged together where issues have been encountered and "fixed". I'd like to get it to work once,just so that I could assess if it works or not.

Regarding your threads:

I didn't bother with the crown and root chamfers, I just measured the OD of the part before cutting.

I just acquired a threading insert and holder. That thing is the dogs Boll***!! cuts the correct profile for you.

Another trick is to use part of a tap with the correct tpi's, grind away the parts that might interfere and then use that as a cutter.

Back
Top Bottom