• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Considerations for an 81 year old Discovery Diver

Discussion in 'New Divers & Those Considering Diving' started by BoundForElsewhere, May 4, 2021 at 12:29 PM.

1. Bigbella

Bigbella ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    Ed Ricketts, marine biologist, the author of Between Pacific Tides, and Steinbeck cohort -- essentially the character of "Doc" in Cannery Row -- was almost phobic about getting wet.

He maxed out at hip-waders and low tide . . .

Marie13 likes this.
  2. nolatom

nolatom Captain

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    He sounds like he'll do just fine. Thanks for the hiking part, says a lot about readiness for something new.
    Only thing i can think of is ears/eustacian tubes. If that's no problem for him, and he has help donning and doffing his rig (especially tank), he'll be fine.

I have on occasion taught sailing to non-sailors. I find the useful question is "what other activities/hobbies you do?" If the answer is Mountain climbing and motorcycle racing, then he or she is good to go out despite fresh winds and choppy seas. If it's knitting and reading, maybe wait for a calmer day.

BoundForElsewhere likes this.
  3. BoundForElsewhere

BoundForElsewhere Waiting for the zombies ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Thanks, everyone. I'm very excited to share this with my father. And frankly, very emotional, too.

Cdncoldwater, CanadaDan and Marie13 like this.
  4. nolatom

nolatom Captain

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Has he ever experienced weightlessness? To me it's the most wonderful thing in diving. You fin out over a ledge and it drops off, but you don't.

Second place is being able to "breathe" yourself up or down by inhaling or exhaling, especially when it's done due to something you can pass over, or under.

BoundForElsewhere and Jcp2 like this.