Considerations for an 81 year old Discovery Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just now caught he is a marine biologist and just now decided to try diving. That is pretty funny. :D

Ed Ricketts, marine biologist, the author of Between Pacific Tides, and Steinbeck cohort -- essentially the character of "Doc" in Cannery Row -- was almost phobic about getting wet.

He maxed out at hip-waders and low tide . . .

He sounds like he'll do just fine. Thanks for the hiking part, says a lot about readiness for something new.
Only thing i can think of is ears/eustacian tubes. If that's no problem for him, and he has help donning and doffing his rig (especially tank), he'll be fine.

I have on occasion taught sailing to non-sailors. I find the useful question is "what other activities/hobbies you do?" If the answer is Mountain climbing and motorcycle racing, then he or she is good to go out despite fresh winds and choppy seas. If it's knitting and reading, maybe wait for a calmer day.

Thanks, everyone. I'm very excited to share this with my father. And frankly, very emotional, too.

Thanks, everyone. I'm very excited to share this with my father. And frankly, very emotional, too.

Has he ever experienced weightlessness? To me it's the most wonderful thing in diving. You fin out over a ledge and it drops off, but you don't.

Second place is being able to "breathe" yourself up or down by inhaling or exhaling, especially when it's done due to something you can pass over, or under.

No need to wait for Isla Mujeres if you are wanting to do discovery dives. Most dive centers with a pool will do "Scuba Experience" type dives so his first exposure to diving isn't as intimidating. A couple of pool sessions may make him want to get OW certified and let the real fun begin.

If I remember correctly, discovery dives are confined water only so boat diving won't be an issue but....

I travel with a group of older retired divers with various ailments that often require assistance...usually back related. Depending on the boat design, we will sometimes help a diver gear up on the swim platform, if equipped, or just gear up in the water. We have never had an issue doing this. When the dive is over, gear comes off in the water and is passed up. It's your dive. Be upfront with the dive op and make sure they can accommodate his needs. We have never had any issue at any tropical vacation location.

A little assistance to stabilize the diver up the ladder and to their seat is usually welcomed, especially if the boat is rocking.

Good advice on the medical form. I've seen some that require a doc's approval if you are over 55.

Good luck, safe travels,
Jay

No need to wait for Isla Mujeres if you are wanting to do discovery dives. Most dive centers with a pool will do "Scuba Experience" type dives so his first exposure to diving isn't as intimidating. A couple of pool sessions may make him want to get OW certified and let the real fun begin.

If I remember correctly, discovery dives are confined water only so boat diving won't be an issue but....

I travel with a group of older retired divers with various ailments that often require assistance...usually back related. Depending on the boat design, we will sometimes help a diver gear up on the swim platform, if equipped, or just gear up in the water. We have never had an issue doing this. When the dive is over, gear comes off in the water and is passed up. It's your dive. Be upfront with the dive op and make sure they can accommodate his needs. We have never had any issue at any tropical vacation location.

A little assistance to stabilize the diver up the ladder and to their seat is usually welcomed, especially if the boat is rocking.

Good advice on the medical form. I've seen some that require a doc's approval if you are over 55.

Good luck, safe travels,
Jay

Thanks, Jay. All great advice.

Not sure what you are referring to here... I did several DSDs before my OW and only the "morning training" was confined water (pool or beach). The actual dives were in open water. Most were boat dives, some were shore dives, but all were actual dives. After the DSD I was able to dive with the same shop for up to two weeks with a dive pro. I dived like this for years on vacations before I was able to dive enough to warrant getting my cert. It's the main reason I got hooked. :)

I live in the Midwest. All DSDs are done in the pool, although very occasionally at the local quarry. A diver would be better off with the pool here. :D

With PADI, Discover Scuba can be done as a pool/confined water class only, or it can include open water. The standards are different. A pool DSD can be taught by a DM with special additional training, but the open water version must be done by an instructor. What you do in your neck of the woods depends upon what is available to you. I have never seen it done in the open water in Colorado. The goal of the course, after all, is to get the students excited enough about scuba to sign up for certification. That is why it is usually offered at a very low price.

I once dived with an operator in the Caribbean who lamented that the hotel where he did completely free pool DSDs had closed. When they were open, he got 100% of his students from the free DSDs.

With PADI, Discover Scuba can be done as a pool/confined water class only, or it can include open water. The standards are different. A pool DSD can be taught by a DM with special additional training, but the open water version must be done by an instructor. What you do in your neck of the woods depends upon what is available to you. I have never seen it done in the open water in Colorado. The goal of the course, after all, is to get the students excited enough about scuba to sign up for certification. That is why it is usually offered at a very low price.

I once dived with an operator in the Caribbean who lamented that the hotel where he did completely free pool DSDs had closed. When they were open, he got 100% of his students from the free DSDs.
I believe more people can enjoy diving without using conventional equipment or training.

Hookah Diving System

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom