Considering a Morehead City August trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i will have to say i dig the car..... i have always liked the 2002's....i have volunteered to help keep it alive.....

lol.... guess you never heard that a boat stands for..... "Bring On Another Thousand"....lol...

seriously ..... you own a business and a sweet boat... you have plenty of money.....lol...

I'm relocations to Nc a little far south but planned to try MHC . And reading this thread ,I'm excited and nervous . I'm a new diver so a lot of the extra safety stuff I need to learn. The people I dove with used almost none of this. Compared to you guys, they were extremely dangerous. What's the best way to learn ?

i can't imagine diving in water less than 80 . I hit a thermocline once and it was 75 and I felt like I was going to going into hypothermia with a 3mm . So I see that mi 8mm will get some use after all.

there are some good dives here at the 60, most of the really good ones are about 90ish..

smb, octo, lights, common sense..

if you need a buddy let me know.. i only have just over 50 dies, so by no means a vet....but my old buddy had to give it up for health reasons.

I'm relocations to Nc a little far south but planned to try MHC . And reading this thread ,I'm excited and nervous . I'm a new diver so a lot of the extra safety stuff I need to learn. The people I dove with used almost none of this. Compared to you guys, they were extremely dangerous. What's the best way to learn ?

i can't imagine diving in water less than 80 . I hit a thermocline once and it was 75 and I felt like I was going to going into hypothermia with a 3mm . So I see that mi 8mm will get some use after all.

NC diving is a real treat! I envy your move there! I really wish I could to the same. I use my 7MM farmer john wet suit when I go there in early June. The surface temp is 70’sF the deep 100+FSW is usually in the low 60’sF. I went diving Sunday here in RI, the surface temp was 52F we didn’t dive deep so the bottom was the same.
I’ll be diving Morehead City with Olympus June 16,17,18,19. I don’t a have a dive buddy so if you are there those days and want to dive PM me before the 14th of June and I’ll give you my cellphone #. I don’t do smart phones or text so you’ll have to actually call and talk to me, sorry. :wink: I’ll be offline from SB also.
Don’t sweat the safety gear; chances are slim to none that you’ll use those items. Do buy and become familiar with those items however. I also bring a signal mirror and a Jon-line if it gets rough you don’t want to hang onto the hang line during the SS; your depth could change quite a bit between swells.

Sorry for the thread hijack Jewel,

I am planning a dive for this June/July as well and it will be my first dive off the NC coast. I normally dive HP 80's with a typical bottom time of about 40 minutes at 90 feet. This weekend someone suggested a minimum of 100's to dive the coast. Al 100's are very large and difficult for me to handle.

I know the dives are a little deeper and my SAC will probably increase with the different environment...

So my question is, would I be wasting a trip if I only do 80's?

Thanks

Sorry for the thread hijack Jewel,

I am planning a dive for this June/July as well and it will be my first dive off the NC coast. I normally dive HP 80's with a typical bottom time of about 40 minutes at 90 feet. This weekend someone suggested a minimum of 100's to dive the coast. Al 100's are very large and difficult for me to handle.

I know the dives are a little deeper and my SAC will probably increase with the different environment...

So my question is, would I be wasting a trip if I only do 80's?

Thanks

No, but you'll wish you had more bottom time after the 1st dive! No amount of diving there is IMO a waste. I used LP72's as ID's the last trip. That's more than 100 CUFT in a fairly small package. You want extra air if it gets rough and you're bobbing around waiting for a turn at the ladder. It may take more than one try to get up the ladder in rough water. The 1st dive is usually the deepest but not always; it's very weather dependent diving. You could leave the dock going to wreck A but because of weather end up at wreck D.
You can always rent after the 1st day. Go for it!

80's are really popular with many of the dive shops, but for the deeper dives you should get a 100 or 120 especially if you dive nitrox. your gas will run out before your bottom time for sure...

As mentioned is can get choppy, so reg breathing at the surface is not uncommon.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom