Considering bringing my Force Fins on vacation. Questions!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hroark2112

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I bought a set a few years ago. I tried them once in the pool and they just felt weird. I'm considering giving them another shot and bringing them to Little Cayman for a week.

I usually frog kick. I had a hard time with the FF and the frog kick. Is there a better kick for the FF's??

With the inserts, do you just go barefoot??

What other tips & tricks do you have?

Hroark, Great news. The Force Fin Pro was optimized for a swimmer's natural flutter kick. The best way to start with Force Fins is to kick on your back, and watch the boil of water behind as the fin forces you forward. That way your eyes will tell you what your feet are missing. Then, when you roll over you'll relax as you kick naturally. Wiggle your toes on your dive and post a picture for us all.... My excellerating Force Fin has a spine running along its backside which optimizes for frog kicking. force_fin_diver_turtle.jpg Comfort insteps are nice for diving bare foot..All my best, Bob

Diving barefoot sounds fantastic. I'm going from diving my rebreather with all that comes with it to diving with an 18# wing and almost nothing else. Barefoot might just be the icing on the cake.

The force fins are great because I can use them with booties on scuba, or barefoot/snorkeling with the inserts. One pair of fins takes the place of two.

Only slight downside is possibly if you need booties for protection walking in on a rocky entry, before reaching snorkel depth water.

Like Bob says, and the power comes on the forward leg motion.

I guess it's back to flutter kicking. They're packed & ready to go. One more benefit - I think my wife hates them. I get to watch her roll her eyes as I pass her :)

I do a modified frog kick with FF: instead of kicking towards the center line, kick out toward the sides. It works and uses the working side of the fin. It may not be the best kick in a narrow cave but works in open water.

Yeah, the force fins take some getting used to. I have very large feet. Conventional fins in my foot size seem to be so enormous that they would power a mammoth or something even bigger. The force fins are of a reasonable size. They give me good control. They have decent power. I flutter kick with them to move fast but usually I frog kick. Frog kicking reduces the chance of kicking up sand when you are close to the bottom.

For silty bottoms, there is a kick called the modified flutter....So you have an alternative to frog kick, and one you can use if you have limited room to the left or right of you...
Here is a vid I found that shows it....I guess I should film this with a diver doing it in Force Fins :)
Force Fins do it amazingly well, by the way.
[video=youtube;RflVp9NijMA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RflVp9NijMA&[/video]

+1 for the modified flutter

Just got back from a dive trip to Bayahibe with my force pros

First time I got to use them without a drysuit , in the words of TN , you will have to pry them off my cold dead feet

They do take a few dives to modify your kick without thinking about it , as Bob said you can see the water boil as you swim on your back

I only had four cold water dives with my force fins before I left , got in a dozen dives last week and I feel like I have been using them forever , I will never use a shoe with a plank on the end again , never

Thanks Bob , you have made diving so much easier for me , love em !

Back
Top Bottom