Considering doing SSI Stress & Rescue. Critique please?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am a SSI instructor. I feel the the SSI S&R course is one of the best written courses. I believe that it will help you recognize stress in divers and also on land. You will come out of the class a more comfortable diver. I love to teach this course.

TO GREYMATTERFAN: Please talk to SSI HQ Director of Training (970 - 482 0883) if your in the USA. ... The instructor never got in the water???? They must get in the water!!! [/B][/B] Please Call .... if you want me to help with this I will do what I can... raybrienza@gmail.com

-Ray

Hey Ray -

Thanks for the info - We had a meeting with the dive shop owner and settled on a 50% refund of class tuition.. We well be retaking the entire S&R course at a totally different facility. Could have probably gone to small claims and got 100% refund, but not worth the red tape and time.

I DID send multiple emails and one snail mail to Watson DeVore at SSI and never heard a peep out of him regarding the mess ups we had at the shop... Not sure what the reason was for that, but SSI went down a few notches in my book as a result of that decision to ignore us. Kind of perturbing.

Thanks again for the info... We recognize the importance of the course, and definitely plan to take it over - even if it costs us AGAIN.

Thanks -

Jon M.

Jon,

I'm not making any excuses for SSI. However, I ask when did you email Watson? I ask this because he is new to his position about 6 months and the biggest dive trade show is first week of October. I'm just saying you might want to re email him or call him. Email him or email me and I will get you his phone number.... They at SSI are usually very responsive.

This instructor needs to be corrected in his teaching!

-Ray

Hey Ray -

I first sent him an email in May of 2009 - as seen below. I then snail mailed the same letter to him a few weeks later. The people who answer the general SSI emails using the contact form on the SSI site are usually really quick to respond (they actually sent me to Watson in the first place). In this case, I know Watson contacted the dive shop directly, but never bothered to answer any of my questions regarding the specific requirements of SSI Stress & Rescue instruction.. In the end, we worked with the shop owner to get 50% of our tuition back and will re take the class at another facility.. Going to ask many more questions this time before shelling out the $$ !

---- original email

Hi Waston -

I was referred to you by Marilyn Pearson regarding a rather bad experience my girlfriend and I recently had with a local SSI Dive shop here in Oregon.

I'm not really sure what you're able to do about it, if anything, but I feel like we should almost re-take the classes because they were taught at such a poor level, and I'm worried that their basic open water classes might be equally bad for new divers. I'm usually able to overlook a few small problems, misunderstandings, or incorrect information when it comes to "specialty" classes as nobody is perfect and it's rare to find a walking encyclopedia of SCUBA knowledge, but I feel like it was just one mess-up after another with this instructor and shop, which I refer to at the end of this message. For your consideration, here are some brief notes about what we felt was wrong / odd / poor about the Stress and Rescue and Dry Suit classes we took in March / April of 2009.

== Stress & Rescue Class ==

- forced to buy 2 separate books & DVDs ($60 each) due to "homework" that we needed to complete
- yet homework never looked at, discussed, collected, or corrected (we still have it, untouched by instructor, never signed off on)
- course was condensed into one night of 30 mins class & about 60 mins pool, no second class or follow-up before open water
- no CPR or accident management discussion (told it was not required)
- no discussion or rehearsal of what to do once you get the diver to shore / boat (essentially towing exercises only)
- instructor never entered pool once (seemed very odd to me)
- pool session consisted of 4 tows and inflating the BC of an unconscious diver
- covered how to approach a panic diver by splashing water in face or diving under them
- mock coaching sessions seemed practically useless

In summary - we could have read the SSI Book and watched the DVD and basically received the same level of instruction.

== Dry suit class ==

- done as part of 'demo days' to sell White's dry suits (1/2 price class as promo)
- no book for class ("out of stock" according to shop), no real classroom lecture other than sales pitch from White's rep (no SSI materials provided or reviewed whatsoever)
- used only Whites dry suit, despite several neoprene suits in rental stock
- no instructors in pool during demo
- one lady left to flail for several minutes upside-down during air-bubble-in-feet exercise while instructors chatted poolside, oblivious
- no solid discussion of proper ascent procedures - implied that suit takes care of it all...
- when instructor added dry suit hose to first-stage regulator, we were told that having both regs on right side was "PADI" setup, instructor switched backup reg hose to left post
- when we asked why PADI does it that way, told "Because they are retards" (direct quote, probably a joke but I didn't find it very funny or informative)
- when I asked about the problem of backup regulator (now on left post) being UPSIDE DOWN from my point-of-view, I was told that it's only for air sharing.. (I would never need to use it)
- then I asked "what happens if my primary second stage has a problem and I need to use my backup" and was told "If your primary has a problem, you're in trouble.." with no further clarification or explanation on how to use a regulator that was oriented upside-down

In summary - probably great for selling Whites dry suits, but not really useful for a new dry suit diver, and no materials to refer back to for ascent / descent procedures, care of suit, etc

== Scheduling & Open Water - (other misc info, not necessarily related to SSI course material)==

- Told incorrect time for dry suit "class"
- Scheduled open water for Sunday, reminded dive shop it was on Sunday during equipment pickup, yet was confronted and attacked when showing up (early) on Sunday morning
- Chatted with another dive shop instructor who was holding open water training, and was told that our instructor had "a late night" the previous night (not exactly confidence-inspiring)
- witnessed conversation between instructors that their open water class had skipped the snorkel dive during open water certification and nothing was done about it.

{removed scuba shop info, since I mentioned it in another thread and no need to beat a dead horse}

In closing, I would love your feedback on what a proper Stress & Rescue class and Dry Suit class should consist of. I feel as though we spent hundreds of dollars at this shop and now have next to nothing to show for it in terms of useful continuing education, other than 2 copies of an SSI Book and 2 DVDs (which we could have easily shared one of for $60).

We both certified at a great shop (Neptune Divers in UT) with great instructors, and I feel fortunate to have started SCUBA off on the right foot. However after this experience with Aquatic Sports, I feel as though the continuing education "specialty courses" might be not worth taking.

At some point in time, I would also like to forward this information to the manager {scuba shop}. Is there any reason to hold of on this? (I'm not sure what actions, if any, will be taken by SSI)

Thanks for any input & advice on this - please let me know if you need any additional information from me.

{ my contact info removed }

Hey Ray -

I first sent him an email in May of 2009 - as seen below. I then snail mailed the same letter to him a few weeks later. The people who answer the general SSI emails using the contact form on the SSI site are usually really quick to respond (they actually sent me to Watson in the first place). In this case, I know Watson contacted the dive shop directly, but never bothered to answer any of my questions regarding the specific requirements of SSI Stress & Rescue instruction.. In the end, we worked with the shop owner to get 50% of our tuition back and will re take the class at another facility.. Going to ask many more questions this time before shelling out the $$ !

---- original email

Hi Waston -

I was referred to you by Marilyn Pearson regarding a rather bad experience my girlfriend and I recently had with a local SSI Dive shop here in Oregon.

I'm not really sure what you're able to do about it, if anything, but I feel like we should almost re-take the classes because they were taught at such a poor level, and I'm worried that their basic open water classes might be equally bad for new divers. I'm usually able to overlook a few small problems, misunderstandings, or incorrect information when it comes to "specialty" classes as nobody is perfect and it's rare to find a walking encyclopedia of SCUBA knowledge, but I feel like it was just one mess-up after another with this instructor and shop, which I refer to at the end of this message. For your consideration, here are some brief notes about what we felt was wrong / odd / poor about the Stress and Rescue and Dry Suit classes we took in March / April of 2009.

== Stress & Rescue Class ==

- forced to buy 2 separate books & DVDs ($60 each) due to "homework" that we needed to complete
- yet homework never looked at, discussed, collected, or corrected (we still have it, untouched by instructor, never signed off on)
- course was condensed into one night of 30 mins class & about 60 mins pool, no second class or follow-up before open water
- no CPR or accident management discussion (told it was not required)
- no discussion or rehearsal of what to do once you get the diver to shore / boat (essentially towing exercises only)
- instructor never entered pool once (seemed very odd to me)
- pool session consisted of 4 tows and inflating the BC of an unconscious diver
- covered how to approach a panic diver by splashing water in face or diving under them
- mock coaching sessions seemed practically useless

In summary - we could have read the SSI Book and watched the DVD and basically received the same level of instruction.

== Dry suit class ==

- done as part of 'demo days' to sell White's dry suits (1/2 price class as promo)
- no book for class ("out of stock" according to shop), no real classroom lecture other than sales pitch from White's rep (no SSI materials provided or reviewed whatsoever)
- used only Whites dry suit, despite several neoprene suits in rental stock
- no instructors in pool during demo
- one lady left to flail for several minutes upside-down during air-bubble-in-feet exercise while instructors chatted poolside, oblivious
- no solid discussion of proper ascent procedures - implied that suit takes care of it all...
- when instructor added dry suit hose to first-stage regulator, we were told that having both regs on right side was "PADI" setup, instructor switched backup reg hose to left post
- when we asked why PADI does it that way, told "Because they are retards" (direct quote, probably a joke but I didn't find it very funny or informative)
- when I asked about the problem of backup regulator (now on left post) being UPSIDE DOWN from my point-of-view, I was told that it's only for air sharing.. (I would never need to use it)
- then I asked "what happens if my primary second stage has a problem and I need to use my backup" and was told "If your primary has a problem, you're in trouble.." with no further clarification or explanation on how to use a regulator that was oriented upside-down

In summary - probably great for selling Whites dry suits, but not really useful for a new dry suit diver, and no materials to refer back to for ascent / descent procedures, care of suit, etc

== Scheduling & Open Water - (other misc info, not necessarily related to SSI course material)==

- Told incorrect time for dry suit "class"
- Scheduled open water for Sunday, reminded dive shop it was on Sunday during equipment pickup, yet was confronted and attacked when showing up (early) on Sunday morning
- Chatted with another dive shop instructor who was holding open water training, and was told that our instructor had "a late night" the previous night (not exactly confidence-inspiring)
- witnessed conversation between instructors that their open water class had skipped the snorkel dive during open water certification and nothing was done about it.

{removed scuba shop info, since I mentioned it in another thread and no need to beat a dead horse}

In closing, I would love your feedback on what a proper Stress & Rescue class and Dry Suit class should consist of. I feel as though we spent hundreds of dollars at this shop and now have next to nothing to show for it in terms of useful continuing education, other than 2 copies of an SSI Book and 2 DVDs (which we could have easily shared one of for $60).

We both certified at a great shop (Neptune Divers in UT) with great instructors, and I feel fortunate to have started SCUBA off on the right foot. However after this experience with Aquatic Sports, I feel as though the continuing education "specialty courses" might be not worth taking.

At some point in time, I would also like to forward this information to the manager {scuba shop}. Is there any reason to hold of on this? (I'm not sure what actions, if any, will be taken by SSI)

Thanks for any input & advice on this - please let me know if you need any additional information from me.

{ my contact info removed }

Grey...

Im glad that you were taken care of to some kind of level.

If there is anything I can help with please let me know.
-Ray

Shocking to hear about the Greymatter experience. What a bad apple he got. Back to the original post questions...

Yes, most agencies allow 'credit' for Stress and Rescue, Rescue Diver (whatever they call it) from other agencies regarding master diver, instructor level, etc.

You will need current (2 years) CPR and First Aid. I recommend to my students that they take a DAN Oxygen Provider (or equivalent) course too as it will really round out thir education.

Nearly every student in our shop who takes this course walks away with a profound increase in their own scuba skills and confidence in the water.

Ask around in the shop. Different instructors have different styles. Over time for instance, I have been able to create some very realistic and stressful scenarios that challenge students. They skills are always tested and demonstrated, but rarely do the scenarios go perfectly (such as in life).

Practice practice. Look for 'disaster day' at the local swimming hole or even ask if you can sit in on class again. We get rusty over time.

I just got certified in Stress and Rescue last weekend. I was a little leery about attempting this because I only had 13 dives to my credit when I started the class. But, I have a long history with First Aid and Life Saving certifications.

The hardest part was when we did the "swimming the box" to look for a lost diver. We did it in San Carlos, Mexico and it was terribly windy, which resulted in visibility of less than 10 feet and major surge. After swimming about three enlarging boxes, my buddy and I no longer could see our instructor's bubbles. We then cut across the box and still couldn't find him. Finally, we agreed to surface to regroup. When we popped up, we saw him waiting for us on the boat's anchor line. No wonder we couldn't find him! LOL He had been watching us do what we were supposed to be doing and knew that due to the visibility that we would never find him. He said we did exactly right by surfacing. It still was frustrating.

Stress and Rescue is the next one we want to get also, we have boat, deep and Nitrox.

The Class is a great way to build your self confidence and become more aware of your abilities and those of divers around you. You should take this course even if you are worried about the degree of difficulty, you'll get it and be happy you have a stress and rescue c-card.

Back
Top Bottom