Considering moving forward with cave training in February, advice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree, I have seen many instructors teaching and have seen their students in the water, as well as debriefs. I have a fair judgement of who is really good. But, for the OP, of all the people who post on this and other threads, how does he know who provides credible information. I have seen multiple people in the past ask the same question, and they immediately got a response of, " I just took full cave from X, and they are a great instructor, and I highly recommend them", which makes me stand by what I say, getting comparisons inorder to sort out who is best is rare, since so few can compare.

That makes sense. I didn’t think of it from the new cave diver that really couldn’t know if they’re instructor’s good or not angle.

hop over and do a couple days in the Cenotes with some guided cavern diving....I'll get some more cavern dives in that way, get comfortable/experienced in doubles, and take the training slowly. Maybe do an intro-to-tech course in doubles to make sure I'm comfortable in them

If you're going to Mexico, try to get some guided cavern dives with Under the Jungle; that way you could meet Nat and Vince and get a sense if you'd like studying with them. They're both excellent teachers. If you are strictly a single tank diver now, I would just skip the doubles and take a sidemount course. It's more involved to learn sidemount than backmount doubles, but in the end you'll probably be happier in sidemount in the Mexican caves.

If you have a particular interest in doubles or don't want to spend the time learning sidemount, consider some sort of intro to tech class to get oriented in doubles and get the trim/buoyancy/propulsion stuff going. If you have a good cave instructor and you start cavern/Intro with less-than-good basic dive skills, you'll end up working on those things anyways before you venture into the cave zone.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom