Considering OTS Full Face Mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A few reasons recreational divers are using our FFMs is that they offer benefits over a traditional half mask like :...

You forgot a big one:

I like a FFM since a loss of consciousness underwater is not an automatic drowning with (hopefully) a resuscitation at the end of it.

This might be worth considering for divers who may be concerned over a medical problem even though they can pass a diving physical. Divers using high PPO2 mixes to accelerate decompression are also candidates.

You forgot a big one:

This might be worth considering for divers who may be concerned over a medical problem even though they can pass a diving physical. Divers using high PPO2 mixes to accelerate decompression are also candidates.
Good catch. Yes - They *can* afford an extra opportunity of survival depending on the circumstances of a situation!

What is the "reg against the forehead" technique?
Put your reg up against the other person's forehead and talk through it. Bone conduction from the forehead to the ears makes it work. It's less effective if they are wearing a hood.

You forgot a big one:

One more: I know of some who's only issue with scuba is their inability to breathe through their mouths. Those folks may benefit from a mask like this.

Edit-- DOH! Sorry for going Necromancer on this thread.

1. If using the Guardian / Stealth FFM, the mask self defogs. No need for defogger / spit into the mask. The Spectrum does require a defogging agent.
Why does the new Spectrum need defogging verus the previous models? Is the regulator connection different?

I hadn't noticed a lot of fogging with mine.

Why does the new Spectrum need defogging verus the previous models? Is the regulator connection different?

True FFM's like OTS Guardian/Stealth, Ocean Reef Neptune: they all pull air across the faceplate which acts like a car windshield defogger. The air then routes into the mouth pocket for the diver to breathe.

The Spectrum does not do this, it pulls straight into the mouth pocket from a normal reg. The mouthpocket has "eustachian tubes" that equalize the faceshield/eye portion of the mask. So because of this, you'll need to defog like a normal mask.
This design also requires the Spectrum to have a 2-step mask clearing process, as unlike other FFM's you'll need to clear your mouth pocket of water then clear the eye portion. I do not know the process of this but friends have told me it's not any more challenging.

The Guardian & Neptune both clear top-down like a normal half-mask would.

OTS_Spectrum_inside_200x240.png

True FFM's like OTS Guardian/Stealth, Ocean Reef Neptune: they all pull air across the faceplate which acts like a car windshield defogger. The air then routes into the mouth pocket for the diver to breathe.

The Spectrum does not do this, it pulls straight into the mouth pocket from a normal reg. The mouthpocket has "eustachian tubes" that equalize the faceshield/eye portion of the mask. So because of this, you'll need to defog like a normal mask.
This design also requires the Spectrum to have a 2-step mask clearing process, as unlike other FFM's you'll need to clear your mouth pocket of water then clear the eye portion. I do not know the process of this but friends have told me it's not any more challenging.

The Guardian & Neptune both clear top-down like a normal half-mask would.

View attachment 452864

Very helpful, thank you. I wish there was a way to test it with my T3 Reg before purchasing. The info I got back from OTS was it was tested with Apeks Regs. I usually like to try before I purchase.

Very helpful, thank you. I wish there was a way to test it with my T3 Reg before purchasing. The info I got back from OTS was it was tested with Apeks Regs. I usually like to try before I purchase.

It'll fit onto the mask, if that's what you're asking. All modern regs use the standard mouthpiece sizing and so too does the Spectrum. You'll zip-tie it into place; the mask is just a giant mouthpiece.

What other concerns are on your mind?

Back
Top Bottom