Considering our own regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Curious why one would want to bring a second stage and a hose, but not bring a whole reg set.
As am I. There has been some talk of people having only one second stage and no alternate. Maybe a silly question, but who does that who was certified in the last 3 decades? Understandable in the days when everyone buddy breathed for OOA and maybe regs had only one second stage.

Curious why one would want to bring a second stage and a hose, but not bring a whole reg set.
For purposes of this thread, a newish diver who thought taking a second stage on a hose might be a good compromise between swapping the mouthpiece and carrying a whole reg in their bag, perhaps. And didn't realize the reasons people don't do that.

Hmmm, didn't consider it being a compromise. I guess I'm just of the opinion that it could introduce more trouble than it's worth. Hell, I didn't even realize people brought mouth pieces with them.

No, but I think they saw it as a compromise of sorts - a way to sort of have their own regulator to dive with without actually carrying a whole reg. Said something about "bringing as little as possible." As little as possible would of course = rent, so I'm not sure what they were trying to accomplish, but I definitely agree more trouble than it's worth.

However, I've heard often enough of people bringing their own mouthpieces to put on rental gear. Sometimes for the ick factor and sometimes to have a mouthpiece they find more comfortable. Some people really like the moldable ones.

Before we got our own reg set, we were advised by our LDS that it was ok to bring our own mouthpieces and ask the local dive op to install them on our rental sets, as a more hygienic option. We did this once and had no problem with that.

I think the OP wanted to buy a primary second stage plus hose, thinking that it would be a compromise between the mouthpiece and complete reg set, with primary second, safe second (octo), first stage, and gauges. Buying a complete reg set has its cons: it costs money to buy a complete set, it costs money to service PER STAGE, and a full set is heavier to carry in luggage. So I get where he’s coming from and his rationale for his question.

I think various posters above have made it clear to him that doing so is actually more trouble than it’s worth, with compatibility issues, most regs are sold with first and second stages, he might get pushback when trying to get the local shop to attach his primary second stage to their first stage, etc.

I don’t think OP’s intention was to go without an octo as some have suggested.

Personally I bought my own reg set (1st stage, primary and secondary regs +SPG) and they go on all trips with me - that way I know I have a good working reg set that I know the service history on. Trust a rental set (that I don't know the condition of)? For me that is a definite no.

By the same token I wouldn't trust a "Frankenstein" set with different 1sts, primaries and secondaries that is assembled on site - it might be ok but it also might be just on the edge of failing (with mismatched intermediate pressures). Without a proper test & documentation (to check the working pressures of the various parts and ensure they are matched/tuned properly) I don't know.

If I were to use a rental set, I would certainly be tempted to change the mouthpiece for hygiene reasons- for all the cost and time involved in that (£5 for the mouthpiece, a zip tie and about 2 minutes with a pair of pliers).

As for only taking a 1st stage and primary, no way would I ever consider this. It was proven many years ago that buddy breathing was dangerous without a lot of practise (with a number of lives lost due to it) hence why it was removed from most (if not all) OW training. Far easier to hand of a reg to them and make a relatively calm ascent while you are both breathing as and when you want.

Before we got our own reg set, we were advised by our LDS that it was ok to bring our own mouthpieces and ask the local dive op to install them on our rental sets, as a more hygienic option. We did this once and had no problem with that.

I think the OP wanted to buy a primary second stage plus hose, thinking that it would be a compromise between the mouthpiece and complete reg set, with primary second, safe second (octo), first stage, and gauges. Buying a complete reg set has its cons: it costs money to buy a complete set, it costs money to service PER STAGE, and a full set is heavier to carry in luggage. So I get where he’s coming from and his rationale for his question.

I think various posters above have made it clear to him that doing so is actually more trouble than it’s worth, with compatibility issues, most regs are sold with first and second stages, he might get pushback when trying to get the local shop to attach his primary second stage to their first stage, etc.

I don’t think OP’s intention was to go without an octo as some have suggested.

This response post sums it up to my question perfectly.

Sorry to others in the community that I apparently asked a dumb question, but we are not super experienced divers, we just want to enjoy the sport the more we go, and want to learn about the best way to travel with our own gear.

Last edited:

Sorry to others in the community that I apparently asked a dumb question, but we are not super experienced divers, we just want to enjoy the sport the more we go, and want to learn about the best way to travel with our own gear.
not a dumb question at all. I can certainly see where the answer is not obvious when you start out.

Not dumb at all! This is exactly what the board is for....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom