Considering PADI master diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fisherdvm:
How about us manly man?? And those so, so, looking ladies?? :(

I'm just NOT an equal opportunity patch conferer!

MikeFerrara:
I guess we're still focused on safety and ignoring everything else.

ok, but DAN data does not show that diving is getting safer. Accident counts have been pretty steady for many years. I guess we've decided that dive instruction just can't get any better than it is?

Sigh. You need to work out wheter you want to use the DAN data or not Mike. As said before, you use it when you think it supports what you say, and trash it when you think it does not.

Anyway, back to square one. Absolute numbers (counts) are only worthwhile when placed in the context of numbers of divers. Now, as has been said, there are no *accurate* figures for this (nor the number of dives per diver). However, the trend is clear - there are more people diving today than there were years ago. hence the sport is becomming safer (as stated by DAN).

So, one more go around?
-j-

ok hmmm. I think after ALL that has been said, and going back to the original topic (and reason for this post lol) MSD might not be so bad afterall. Sure it costs money. Sure it may well be a business gimmick, but if I find a good instructor, and I learn something, and it improves my safety, skill, and confidence, then it might very well be worth my time and money to do it. Fair statement I think. This may not be for everyone, but if the MSD card gives you a sense of accomplishment at the end, and it improves my skill then why not.

this thread certainly has taking an unexpected turn. most entertaining. thanks for all the opinions. You folks have really put in a lot of effort into replying and I appreciate it. One thing I must say is that don't get mad at people for not agreeing with you. You have had experiences that have led to your current mindset, and this will not be congruent with 100% of the other divers out there. Just speak your mind and let it rest. No need to argue till you lose your temper. just agree to disagree. cheers!!

skywalk:
ok hmmm. I think after ALL that has been said, and going back to the original topic (and reason for this post lol) MSD might not be so bad afterall.

Sorry, it did drift a bit and glad you are still here.

My final take (on your original question): Get EVERY bit of training you can get, get EVERY bit of practice you can get, get into the water as often as you can, and talk to more experienced divers as often as you can (especially during dive trip excursions). Read dive literature as often as you can.

And remember to have fun.
-j-

skywalk:
ok hmmm. I think after ALL that has been said, and going back to the original topic (and reason for this post lol) MSD might not be so bad afterall. Sure it costs money. Sure it may well be a business gimmick, but if I find a good instructor, and I learn something, and it improves my safety, skill, and confidence, then it might very well be worth my time and money to do it. Fair statement I think. This may not be for everyone, but if the MSD card gives you a sense of accomplishment at the end, and it improves my skill then why not.

Well except that the PADI MSD isn't a class.

You've done OW, AOW, rescue, some specialties and seome dives. You still aren't a mater scuba diver. Fill out a form and send in a check and presto-chango, you are a master scuba diver.

josh_ingu:
Sorry, it did drift a bit and glad you are still here.

My final take (on your original question): Get EVERY bit of training you can get, get EVERY bit of practice you can get, get into the water as often as you can, and talk to more experienced divers as often as you can (especially during dive trip excursions). Read dive literature as often as you can.

And remember to have fun.
-j-

I agree whole heartedly. And it doesn't matter if the training is PADI, SSI, NAUI, or Thalassamania ....

drbill:
I'm just NOT an equal opportunity patch conferer!

You have been reported to OICP, NWACP, Naacpd, and the WOWcp....

You are in deep excrement, Dr. Bill...

Thalassamania:
So glad to see other agencies adopting frequent buyer plans. That kind of recognition is so good for the diving industry. Can NAUI, YMCA and LA County be far behind?
I thought you needed 50 logged dives? But things do change and rarely for the better. Do you still need to have both the knowledge and skill level expected of a NAUI Instructor, sans the training stuff to be certified as a NAUI Master Diver?

I believe you are thinking of the NAUI Dive Master course as opposed to the NAUI Master Diver course.

My understanding the NAUI Dive Master course covers everything except the presentation skills needed for instructor.

The NAUI Master Diver course that I am currently taking is often required for cross-over Diver Masters coming to NAUI from other certification organizations.

ronbeau:
I believe you are thinking of the NAUI Dive Master course as opposed to the NAUI Master Diver course.

My understanding the NAUI Dive Master course covers everything except the presentation skills needed for instructor.

The NAUI Master Scuba Diver course that I am currently taking is often required for cross-over Diver Masters coming to NAUI from other certification organizations.
NAUI Master Diver is all the academics. NAUI Divemaster adds the leadership aspects. Instructor adds the teaching aspects.

Obviously, it is commonly accepted that you should have more experience as you progress through those three levels, but the academics are all covered in the Master Scuba Diver course, which is the reason that people crossing over to NAUI leadership roles must take the NAUI Master Scuba Diver test.

Now your talking ... when you get done and you have that new shiny MASTER SCUBA DIVER card you are a diver. Just think what I'm saying here ... when your on a dive boat whats the person they want to be partnered with. You my man ... that rating lets everyone know you are a serious diver. You have enough dives so you are confident underwater, your able to rescue someone if you had to, you see a great cross section of diving be it deep/nitrox/night/navigation/search & recovery/equipment/wreck/cavern/cave/photography/ice/extended deep/u-w hunter etc etc.

You are now in the ranks of true divers and have earned respect.

Bob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom