console versus wrist computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

arcticat99

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
i seen this has been asked in the past but not since a whole new crop of ia computers have popped .so wrist versus console who likes what

You can read the recent computer threads, one by me and another by someone else.
They will tell you who's using what.

Wrist no contest. With AI, ditch the entire console.

However, I think in diving, people have a point of generally sticking to what they are used to. I can understand why many would be hesitant to replace what is comfortable.

If you buy new anyway, consider well, there are good reasons. I find AI with its real time displayed calculations (gas time remaining, sac rate) valuable. I use GTR all the time and it is very accurate. Make sure you factor in the gas consumed during a safety stop when you program the reserve pressure in, and you can pretty much dive to it - frees up the CPU in your head. Still know your dive plan. Wearing the computer on the (right) wrist seems the best place for it to be, you can easily keep it within your FOV.

You can take a non-AI wrist computer with you on a trip when you plan to rent your equipment.

I understand that shops want to keep everything together (loose parts get lost), and so the new diver only learns that, and change is very uncomfortable for them to do....

That being said, for me, there is a better way....

My Preference is for wrist for convenience and useability. However, you must be willing to accept that wrist units with transmitters are generally more expensive than console units and introduce more failure points (more devices, more batteries, more o-rings, loss of PDC and transmitter connectivity).

Wrist. Depth is what I monitor while doing a decompression / safety stop. I will not have an ascent line so the computer is the only thing telling me if I am holding the depth or sinking. The only way to constantly keep it in your view for 3 - 15 minutes is for it to be on the wrist. Imagine how painful it would be to remain crooked in fetal position while being neutral so that you can start at the depth reading for 15 minutes!

You can take a non-AI wrist computer with you on a trip when you plan to rent your equipment.

Nothing to stop you from doing the same with an AI wrist computer and just using it as a non AI.

I prefer wireless AI only because I found the hose and console were a hassle to deal with. Functionally I had more faith in the hosed version because I have found short term dropouts to be a way of life with Bluetooth. Either system will give you the information you need.

Back
Top Bottom