Contact lenses and diving -Questions Welcome - by Idocsteve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I

idocsteve

Hi folks

I've been on the board for quite some time, and I often see questions asked by divers about contact lenses and diving. I have provided some fairly comprehensive answers, either on the threads or via personal messages, and I'd like to post them in one place where they're easy to find.

Divers are welcome to post questions and comments on this thread where I will answer them to the best of my ability. Note that I do not have much to say about prescription diving masks, I do not handle them in my office because divers usually send them directly to the companies that provide this service.

I'm a New York State Licensed Optometrist and certified Scuba Diver. I will also post a disclaimer that information provided by me on this thread is to be considered "for entertainment purposes only" and is not to be taken as medical advise. There is no substitute for a complete and thorough eye examination by a licensed eyecare professional.

Having received their permission, I'll start with a question asked to me by a fellow ScubaBoard member last night, in regard to bifocal contact lenses.

"Thanks for all the help. Just got contacts Yesterday and wore them for 4 hours. Today about 6. She said we may have to tweak the script. I"m suppose to go back in 3 weeks to let her know how things are. Vision is not too bad at distance but reading is another story. Because my trip is at the end February not to sure what my next step should be. Don't want to jump the gun,but also don't want to ruin the dives. Also with the new contacts when looking around, seems like things are foggy. I know for sure they were not baush & lomb . My last dive in August was in Freeport and dove with about 10 reef sharks and just blew me away. One of the most amazing things I have ever done. Thanks R-"

R-

I have several suggestions for you.

You don't have all that much time before your trip and of course you'd like to get your vision as clear as possible before your vacation.

3 weeks is WAY too long to wait between trial lens tweaks. In general, one week is sufficient, and usually less after the first followup. I have found that some bifocal contact lens patients need to try several pairs of contacts before the fit is finalized or rarely, to the point where we run out of options and discontinue the fit altogether. There are just too many combinations of Rx's and different lens types and brands available. If you wait 3 weeks between checkups, and you require, say, 3-4 trial lens pair replacements and tweaks, you're looking at MONTHS, and it's completely unecessary to wait that long.

If distance vision is good, and near vision is blurred, my next step would be to "over refract" the patient, meaning I would flip lenses in front of them with the contacts worn, either using the refractor (lens instrument) or loose trial lenses to see if I can add or decrease power that would help BOTH distance and near. If it's not possible to improve the reading vision without sacrificing some distance vision, I will add near vision power to the nondominant eye by either changing the overall lens power in no more than half diopter increments, or just increasing the bifocal part of the lens to the next available level. I suggest you discuss these options with your eye care practitioner.

I have found the best success with the new Acuvue Oasys bifocal contact lens, but the Baush and Lomb multifocal lens is a close second. The latter lens comes in a 1 month extended wear option. Other brands such as Ciba Vision and Coopervision have been somewhat disappointing in my experience but they are viable alternatives for some patients.

Just got my third pair of bifocal lenses a couple months ago. I believe I got my first pair back around 2003. The two prior pairs took me three tries apiece to get them right. This last set, the left lens was good after three tries, but the right took four tries. I don't wear them diving as I use soft lens for that and see great with them. I've been wearing hard contact lens since 1974 so I'm an old hand at them. :)

Just got my third pair of bifocal lenses a couple months ago. I believe I got my first pair back around 2003. The two prior pairs took me three tries apiece to get them right. This last set, the left lens was good after three tries, but the right took four tries.

Time to change eye doctors.

Next question?

I have astigmatism like many divers my age and have found using a disposable 1.25+ soft contact in my nondominate left eye! I can read my gauges with no problem and see through my view finder on my camera just fine! Eye sight is so important underwater if your going to find those little critters!

What do you think about the stick on bifocals allowing single vision contacts?

Don't know much about them, I guess if you can get them to stick onto the mask and they can adhere without trapping bubbles; and you can get them precisely centered and the optics are reasonably good then they might have their place.

However, every person has a distinct and measurable separation between the centers of their eyes, commonly referred to as "PD" for "pupillary distance" and eyeglass lenses are ground so that the optical center of the lens is aligned with the patient's PD to avoid unwanted prismatic effects. These stick on lenses are no different in terms of their ability to cause prismatic effects if they're not placed properly, as well as other distortions such as spherical and chromatic aberration found in cheaply made optical products including over the counter magnifying reading lenses.

Whether or not that presents a significant problem in the case of a recreational scuba diver remains to be seen, perhaps divers who have used this product can give their thoughts on it.

They adhere due to surface tension and once they are in contact with water they are gone!

They adhere due to surface tension and once they are in contact with water they are gone!

If you apply them correctly they will not wash away. I have used them for years on sunglasses and in several masks and haven't lost one yet. In a mast I find one is just as good as two to read gauges.

I see well at distance, but needed something for gauge reading, but I had never worn contacts. When I explained what I needed in diving and told my eye professional that neither eye was completely dominant, he prescribed what I thought was an innovative solution. He gave me a single contact for one eye and instructed me to "selectively focus" for the situation. I tried it and...lo and behold...it worked! I would use my left to focus on my gauges up close and my right for distance. True, I lost some acuity, but it got me through. However, now I use a prescription mask simply for convenience and it works well for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom