Contaminated air = headache

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

northernone

Contributor
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Thinking back I realized a near miss I could relay.

Some time ago I managed to get a fill from an unknown source. A friend's friend had a compressor and did paintball fills.

Younger, and just happy to have air, I dove it without thought.

Air tasted funny after a few minutes into the dive, though I might have dipped the reg mouthpiece in the oily bottom of my canoe the previous post dive. Continued to 30ft, splitting headache developed. I'm not one to have headaches so I made my way to the shallows as it progressively got worse. Felt like brain freeze. Thought my hood might be choking me. Some confusion and I wasn't particularly coordinated.

Back on shore I smelled the air, burnt oil flavored. Drained the tank, did a quick viz. A fairly good coating of blackish brown oil inside.

Turns out he needed to rebuild his compressor and was trying to get a few more fills out of it waiting for the parts.

Unnecessary near miss from my earlier days. Had been taught to always smell my air, didn't make it a habit until after that day. Co2 is oderless but some other contaminates can be detected by smell and are well worth detecting. Sniff!

Regards,
Cameron

You, sir, lead a charmed life....

I realized the other day that I had fallen out of the habit of the sniff test, have had to force myself to start doing it again.

...the oily bottom of my canoe...
Not to distract, good informational point, just wondering:
Is there another "story" to that oily bottom canoe?

It's a far North thing. When it comes to canoes, the oilier your bottom the better.

You were lucky to survive- and lucky to not suffer from lipoid pneumonia or something such as that.

It's a far North thing. When it comes to canoes, the oilier your bottom the better.
:wink:
That may be and that may be quite interesting in itself, but I was not going there. I hereby solemnly clarify that my interest was not in anyone's bottom. Just the canoes'...
(Edit) Well OK on re-read you had that covered. after the initial read my reaction was "I wrote no such thing" , funny anyway)

I'm sure I got some bad air in Kauai once. I got sick underwater, and surfaced. About two minutes later my dive buddy surfaced and he hurled on the surface. That was the most brink of panic experience. Never again. Awful.

I suspect the fill generators intake was - like most air compressors- an intake vent on the side of the building. Right where cars ( and UPS trucks) park. Engines idling. Cough, sputter.

This remains un-checked, as the dive shop has been there for 20+ years, and a few dozen tourists a day roll through that place. Super busy, and a great shop with great staff otherwise. You would think it'd be happening all the time. I have no real clue if it was a bad fill from that shop, or some random nausea that affected me and my buddy. Very, very strange.

I have no real clue if it was a bad fill from that shop, or some random nausea that affected me and my buddy. Very, very strange.
Hence, why you should always test your tanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom