ContourHD 1080p and the H2OV - compact & tough

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GMSconcepts

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
One of the smallest 1080p UWV system available, The camera records onto a micro-SD card, up to 16G and can record for four hours in full HD, 135 degree lens, you can do firmware adjustments for contrast, exposure, metering, microphone gain, the housing is built like a brick and should handle pressures well beyond 50m. You can mount it to your head, helmet, back of your hand, on your scooter, We got allot of positive response at DEMA, lots of interest for cave and wreck diving. check it out at www.gmsconcepts.com:eyebrow:

I think I've found my camera !!! The ContourHD and H2OV housing have everything I'm looking for. I'm just now deciding whether to go with the 720 or the 1080. For an extra $50, the 1080p is probably the way to go. Definitely the full control housing. Also I've noticed that different retailer have different packages, i.e. batteries, wall chargers, mounts...

After reading the 'Which camera is right for you' page, the 720 looks like my camera. My computer isn't bad enough to handle 1080p.

After reading the 'Which camera is right for you' page, the 720 looks like my camera. My computer isn't bad enough to handle 1080p.

For the nominal cost of $50 extra, I'd just go with the 1080p version. The higher resolution will be there for you if you eventually upgrade your computer, and in the meantime, you can always stick with 720p@30fps if that's all your system can handle.

Also, the 1080p lets you play with 60fps slo-mo in 720p :wink:

Finally, while VholdR has quite a fair feature comparison chart on their site, they don't say anything about the sensor other than it being "5 megapixel." It'd be nice to see some specs for 1) pixel size and sensor dimensions 2) low light sensitivity and 3) lens speed. I'd also want to see what settings are available for bitrate, since the record times suggest that it may be lower than the GoPro.

Here's an option. Liquid Image Video Scuba Mask HD321 Large - Helmet Camera Central

I'm waiting for more video of the Contour to come in before I buy. They said they're out now shooting and some stuff is coming soon on YouTube. But I like the video I already saw. It's better than the others. The technical data doesn't concern me as much as long as the end product looks good, which I think it does. The conditions the videos were shot in are much like the ones I dive in the most. New Jersey. And I probably will go with the 1080p. Why not ? Shoot the friggin' works, right ? That 'Helmet Camera Central' site has some good bundles. Batteries, cards, wall chargers... That's where I think I'll be doing my business. Like I said earlier, I have till March, but I'd like to get something a bit earlier so I can put it through its paces before Socorro.

At $610 I would probably start considering a proper digital camera and housing - something in the cannon HF series or sony HDR series. While the housings are a lot more (~$800) you get a better camera and it's something you can grow with (lights, filters etc)...

i think that's why i'm ultimately leaning towards the GoPro - it's the cheapest option (~$350 with SD card) and while the video has issues, it's serviceable to remember your dives...plus when we're having this conversation next year about all the new options i won't feel as guilty about wanting something new :blinking:

i think that's why i'm ultimately leaning towards the GoPro - it's the cheapest option (~$350 with SD card) and while the video has issues, it's serviceable to remember your dives...plus when we're having this conversation next year about all the new options i won't feel as guilty about wanting something new :blinking:

Sure the Gopro video is a little out of focus, but it does have the extremely wide field of view going for it. After reviewing my video from this past weekend I feel it does a great job of capturing the feeling of the terrain and the environment that my point and shoot camera's video (32mm equivalent) can't capture.

The Picsio I was thinking of getting would have cost about $ 810 when I added the w/a lens and adapter. The Contour 1080p package will cost about $ 670 and it includes the camera, full control housing, two extra batteries, a 2 GB and an 8 GB card, a few mounts and a wall charger. Not to mention what I think is much higher video quality. Not too bad. And the size and weight is great. It'll be easy to add to the free handle of my Ike still camera rig. This system will be almost exclusively for travel. I have an Ike housing for my Hitachi DVD video camera but the thing is a bear. It weights a ton !! Way too much to travel with. I'm going to wait another few weeks, but I am about positive I'll be getting the Contour. I'd just like to see a bit more video from it.

At $610 I would probably start considering a proper digital camera and housing

That's the heart of the problem, isn't it? Once you exclude the GoPro, ALL of these cameras, whether it's a Flip, JVC, Kodak, Contour, or a P&S digicam, all cost around $150-$200. And housings all cost between $200-260. So while you think you may be saving a few dollars by going with a cheaper camera, in reality any savings get absorbed pretty quickly in the housing cost.

The Contour's small size and 130 degree field of view are great differentiators and I'd really like to see some HD underwater footage from it soon. But if it's $280 with another $280 for the housing, you'd actually save money and get much more bang for your buck with an SD980 or SD940 (and among other things, get one of the best P&S cams on the market with a proper LCD and optically stabilized lens).

Well, I've definitely beat a dead horse enough times on this one. I'll sit back for a bit and wait for some more diving footage to show up from all these great choices we now have on the market!

Edit: I'll add that as much as I harsh on the little Flip that I've settled on, I'm *super* happy with the quality of the output and low-light performance so far.

[youtubehq]y3fUEWIJMfU[/youtubehq]

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom