Controversial DEMA booth & advertising photos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow!
You actually believe buying fish at a local market is preferable to selectively shooting your own fish for personal consumption?
Your local market represents sustainable fishing methods to you?

As for laying on the reef....I agree....it shouldn't be done. Not by freedivers, and not by scuba divers.
As for spearing fish......there's certainly nothing wrong with that. I eat fish, and the best way to get them, is to spear them.

Riffe should have given more thought to the photos used in these posters. Some Spearos will certainly emulate this.

They DO make great spear guns!

The jerk needs to start buying his fish at the local market and stay off the reef!

Wow, I missed these photos and cannot believe the manufacturer allowed them to be shown at DEMA. I would really be curious to hear from the manufacturer, the model, and the photographer as far as what was going through their brains during the shoot.

I saw those at their booth and was less than impressed. I'm not a spear-o so no need for their products either way. Very disappointing to see what they're advertising as being ok though.

I'm really glad I missed this booth. That's destructive behavior and it shouldn't be tolerated. I'm really not surprised that a company would use the photos though. Too many people only think about the potential income and push conservation to the side for the almighty dollar.

In response to those people at DEMA who were offended by the photographs that were displayed at the Riffe International booth.

We apologize for the poor choice of underwater photos of divers on and near the Coral reefs. This was a one-time photo shoot posed to display our new camo wetsuit.
Most divers do not hunt in the Coral reef because of the damage to the reef and harm to the diver.

Riffe International feels very strongly on preserving our natural resources especially the beautiful coral reefs.
These types of photos will not be used in any future events.

Please accept our sincere apologies.

Jay Riffe -president

Riffe International

These two 6 ft by 4 ft poster sized photos were displayed at one of the manufacturer's booth at DEMA. Many conservation-minded divers commented about them, the manufacturer, and the ad agency/photographer both at the show and on other social media sites.

How do you feel when you see these images?

View attachment 171322

View attachment 171320

I'm pretty offended to say the least...spearing is sooo ineffecient. Try dynamite instead!
dynamite_reef_2.jpg

But honestly, if all fish were caught via spear the reefs and the worlds oceans would be in much better shape - IT IS the least impactful method of fishing even if you occasionally touch the reef...

Thanks for the apologies, Jay. You've always been a stand up guy and that really shows in your willingness to admit a mistake. I've used Riffe products in the past and will continue to do so because of your ethics.

Back
Top Bottom