Converse All-Stars (Chuck’s) for diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They are essentially a light hiking shoe designed to shed water. The sole is quite thick (boot like). I find it a lot more cushy then the chucks even with the insole removed as I use them.

I had to do some significant hiking with gear in the Vancouver area a few weeks ago. I was quite happy to have the extra support and traction.

I looked into the neoprene Chucks but settled on these instead. Comfortable and a lot cheaper.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0717556WZ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

61U-gu%2B8XWL._SL1500_.jpg

I do a lot of beach diving and Chucks are the best thing I've used. They are awesome on a wet dive deck too. Learned this in the Army.

I get why y'all like Chucks for diving--I've got a 15-year-old pair of DUI rockboots that are essentially Chucks made of nylon--but I don't know how y'all can wear the real thing. My feet are a standard width, and every time I've tried on a pair of Chucks, they feel incredibly narrow and pinch me something fierce. And with a drysuit? My toes don't even fit in the ankle-hole. Fuggedaboudit.

Resurrecting an old thread here, but relevant to my question.

For wetsuit/ warm water, are you all diving without the inner soles from the Chucks?

I figured the soles might get funky and take some time to dry out, but not sure. Thank you.

Ditch the Chuck's and get a set of Altama Maritime Assault's. Better in every way.

Resurrecting an old thread here, but relevant to my question.

For wetsuit/ warm water, are you all diving without the inner soles from the Chucks?

I figured the soles might get funky and take some time to dry out, but not sure. Thank you.

I dive dry in cold water, but I rinse mine after diving, loosen the laces and pull the tongue forward a bit to allow for more airflow, and put them in front of a fan (along with my gloves and hood) to dry. I dive freshwater, so that's a big difference, but no funk yet.

I don't know, I don't own the Poseidon's, just seen them a few times. You can see the Altama's below.

Altama Maritime Assault - Mid

I was in the middle of an exhaustive search for a Converse alternative last night and was certain I had a eureka moment when I discovered the Altama Maritime Mid Tactical Assault Boot. Looks like my time would have been better spent looking on SB. These boots appear to be dramatically more robust than the Chuck’s which always seemed rather flimsy to me. Have you used these with a drysuit? I’m trying to determine the proper size for an Aqualung Fusion. Do they run true to size? Considering the additional bulk of the drysuit material and socks I’m definitely looking at the extra wide. Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom