Converting DOT3aa-2400 tanks from Inert to Oxygen

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If it had inert gas before why do you want to clean it?

If it had inert gas before why do you want to clean it?

It would be prudent because you don't know the history of those cylinders - or more importantly if they have been contaminated. As an example - I know of a compressor filter stack that was improperly installed (a tab was not removed from the filter insert) - causing condensate (oil / water) to thoroughly contaminate the entire system (lines and bank cylinders.) Oxygen service implies that a component is verifiably clean of hydrocarbons, rust / corrosion, etc. Choosing not to clean - would be imprudent.

You might check out the Oxyhacker Guide for additional details (or take a PSI OCCT class.)

As a practical matter - in the case above - the shop used a pressure washer / (and or steam) to clean the banks and bottles. Alternatively, you might consider using a six stage process:

1) Gross cleaning. (remove valve, examine interior for rust or gross contaminates)
2) Precleaning (if needed (rust) tumble with ceramic media and appropriate solvent: Blue Gold, Simply Green (I like Simple Green Crystal - no fragrance or coloring)
3) Cleaning (tumble with glass beads and NOC (Naval Oxygen Cleaner (NOC) $$$), TSP (don't use with aluminum) Consider using an O2 safe rust inhibitor
4) Rinse thoroughly and dry. Consider using really hot water and either modified Grade E air or inert gas to speed drying and prevent flash rust.
5) Verify Clean: (White Light, Black Light, PH strip nuetral (all caustic cleaners removed), Shake Test (all solvent removed),
6) Label and reassemble with appropriate technique (correct CGA valve, no hydocarbon contamination, no silicon, etc.)

Oxygen fires are no fun... Be safe and have fun!

Last edited:
^^^^That there is the correct answer. I might open them up and use the UV light first, if the flash rust and scale and other dreck is at a minimum, but what Bjorn said is the right answer.

Thanks for the detailed information.
I do not know the history of the tanks so I will spend some time getting them right.
I see Global offers an O2 safe rust inhibitor.
I do have the Oxyhacker guide and will reference that as well.

Duuude, get a quote from these guys. :)

1. Cylinder Services
    Machinery & Tools·
    8345 Slauson Ave ·(562) 801-2990
They can provide the right valve, do the work, paint the bottle, etc. They have always treated me right. They can also pick up and deliver.

Tobin
As someone who finds O2 cleaning HP130's a lot of work, the idea of cleaning a K or T cylinder has no appeal. I second Tobin's suggestion. Some things are just not worth it to do yourself...

Thanks Tobin and bl6394. I'm in Louisiana so cost prohibitive.
Anyhow, I found a father and son fire and safety shop close to home. $35 hydro for the 2400 cyliders. $30 to clean. $30 for the 540 valves.
Hard to beat.
They also do the XSscuba galvanized steel cylinders the proper way, so no false failures. $25 each.
My new best friends!

Back
Top Bottom