Converting SL4 Xenon > LED?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The R2 mod I use is this one.
Width: 26.5mm
Height: 29mm (without the included support spring)
Output: 117~225 Lumens (manufacturer rated)
Input Voltage Range: 3.7V~18V
Thanks

Are there any light output differences between 4.8V (4xAA rechargeables), 6V (4xAA alkaline) and 14.8V (4x18650 - does it even fit?)?

Utilizing the Deal Extreme SKU 32953 with both an SL4 and SL6, after messing around a couple of days with a dremel tool, went to the hardware store today to find something to keep everything centered etc. Ran across some 7/8" x 1 3/8" machine spacers or shims or something to that effect in the bolts & nuts special drawers at Ace, for $0.45 each. 3 placed on the backside of the reflector centers it, pushes the face to the lens and connects the contacts. Works great, no machining or soldering, just lay them on and use !!
View attachment 77163 View attachment 77164 View attachment 77165

Can you measure the thickness of the 3 spacers all together ?I want to make just one.
Thanks

Can you measure the thickness of the 3 spacers all together ?I want to make just one.
Thanks

SL4 only needed 2, they measure 2mm using a clear ruler to measure, the 3 on the SL6 measure a hair more than 1mm each, I'd say 3.1mm by eye. But those may not be ideal YMMV

Are there any light output differences between 4.8V (4xAA rechargeables), 6V (4xAA alkaline) and 14.8V (4x18650 - does it even fit?)?

I got and used NiMH rechargable C cells at 1.2V each, so 4.8V vs 7.2V, for my SL4 and SL6 with no noticable difference underwater in output with an R5 module. So maybe voltage does not make that significant a difference ??

SL4 only needed 2, they measure 2mm using a clear ruler to measure, the 3 on the SL6 measure a hair more than 1mm each, I'd say 3.1mm by eye. But those may not be ideal YMMV

Thank you

Well, here's something I haven't seen discussed in regard to the SL4 mod. I just got the R5 module and used a split washer to center the module and make the connection. When I screwed the top on the light worked except that the switch does not turn it off. I need to unscrew it slightly to get the light to go off.

In investigating the reason for this I found that when the batteries are installed backwards the switch completes the circuit in both positions as confirmed by measuring voltage between the battery and the contact controlled by the switch. I found the same was true on my other SL4.
It seems that the shape/movement of the switch contact doesn't work with the flat (negative) side of the battery.

Anyone else experience this?

Well, here's something I haven't seen discussed in regard to the SL4 mod. I just got the R5 module and used a split washer to center the module and make the connection. When I screwed the top on the light worked except that the switch does not turn it off. I need to unscrew it slightly to get the light to go off.

In investigating the reason for this I found that when the batteries are installed backwards the switch completes the circuit in both positions as confirmed by measuring voltage between the battery and the contact controlled by the switch. I found the same was true on my other SL4.
It seems that the shape/movement of the switch contact doesn't work with the flat (negative) side of the battery.

Anyone else experience this?

Try using Durecell Batteries they are more domed on the bottom not as flat. If your realy brave pull the switch apart and put a solider bump on the switch then put it back together.

Sirto - in a nutshell - no i have not experienced this on either of my conversions.

just lucky i guess ;-0

Try using Durecell Batteries they are more domed on the bottom not as flat. If your realy brave pull the switch apart and put a solider bump on the switch then put it back together.

Actually I was using Duracells but I switched to Energizers and now the switch works. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom