converting valve from LH to RH?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stepfen

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello,
I recently bought a tank in quite good condition. The seller claims it has never been underwater - I kind of doubt it but anyway there are no visible marks, rust and stuff. It has been hydroed in Dec of 2018.
Anyway after I bought it I noticed that the valve is on the left hand side and I would very much prefer it on the right hand.
Here are two pictures from the said valve:
upload_2019-3-28_10-57-37.png

upload_2019-3-28_10-58-37.png

Given that the valve looks very symmetric, is there a chance I can convert it from LH to RH by moving the handweel and the mechanism (stem etc) to the right hand side?
The hex-plug on the left of the picture is not a burst disk/over pressure valve (I think in Europe we don't use these). It looks like just a plug.

I could give it a try but the tank is full and I pity emptying it just to try. Also due to weather it doesn't seem that I will be able to dive/empty it any time soon.

If I knew I can convert it, I wouldn't mind emptying it of course, so that I have it ready.

In case I'm lucky and I can convert it, I would also like to ask if there are any o-rings/washers etc that must be replaced during the conversion. Overly the valve looks in very good condition, but if I have to replace them, I need to find the parts first, before I disassemble it.
If parts need to be replaced, what are their dimensions? Are these standard across valves or? The valve is a M25/2.

BTW I searched online but I can find nothing about "Seaway" valves.

Thanks a lot in advance.

i think, the hex plug might be the problem, right o left thread, so to plug the side actually with the knob, you will need a different hex plug (thread left or right)

i think, the hex plug might be the problem, right o left thread, so to plug the side actually with the knob, you will need a different hex plug (thread left or right)

That sounds right. I have zero experience with valves (that's the very first tank/valve I own) but in order to be used for doubles, one side needs to have "wrong" thread indeed so that the middle part of the valve (manifold?) can be tightened.
I tried to loosen the plug and it unscrews normally (counter-clockwise), so the right side should have the "wrong" thread.
Assuming I can find the right plugs, do you think it is possible? I mean are the internal parts of the valve interchangeable left to right?

Doubt it, the other side will not have threads or a seat for the valve plug.
Take it apart, look at the insides and then order a valve with the right configuration.
Used in good condition on Ebay $10 n up, new about $50.

Michael

Anyway after I bought it I noticed that the valve is on the left hand side and I would very much prefer it on the right hand.

Easy, just turn the tank around till the valve is on the right-hand side.

Stepfen...

This is a modular valve...which can be used in conjunction with doubles isolation valve...and H valve components...this is the non standard left valve...the standard right modular valve has the left hand thread for attaching the doubles isolation valve...

The left and right internals are completely different...

Once disassembled...the valve should be serviced with a complete kit...completely inspected and cleaned in the process...for NITROX application it requires 100% O2 cleaning...and viton ''O'' rings...

If you need a standard right side configured valve for you particular application...the valve will need to be replaced...

Best...

Warren

As stated the plug is for the manifold since this is set up for doubles. Will need to replace the valve

So Maurizio motioned to me that a new guy on the boat whose gear we were standing in front of
had strapped his tank in backwards. I asked him, “Are you going to tell him or me?”
“I'll tell him.” chortles Maurizio.
“Hey mate you put your gear together backwards.”

“Errr ummm prrrft hmmm well but blah blah blah.” blurts the guy.

So I pipe up, “Bloody hopeless crew, they put your tanks in the racks backwards!!!!”

and everyones laughing and life went on

full.jpg

See, I'm using a valve of that configuration on my upside down pony
that I never remember is there

but I think it's time you get your ambidextrous skills pumping stepfen

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom