Cookies or arrows?

Cookies or arrows? And where were you trained?

• Mexico -- cookies

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • Mexico -- arrows

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Florida -- cookies

Votes: 14 35.0%
  • Florida -- arrows

Votes: 19 47.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey... what happened to the short cut to Ho Tul?

I'm not totally sure, I think its been cut back. We weren't taking that passage so it wasn't on the sketch CLM laid out for us. It is not a << marked jump at this point I definately would have remembered/noted that. Its possible that one of the ~4 arrows between Grand and the Paso jump mark the shortcut. There's nothing to say so on those arrows though, unless its in code.

Your maps are great! They remind me of the notebook with all the clues in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade :D

LOL somedays just finding the line is like grabbing the magic statue!

I'm not totally sure, I think its been cut back. We weren't taking that passage so it wasn't on the sketch CLM laid out for us. It is not a << marked jump at this point I definately would have remembered/noted that. Its possible that one of the ~4 arrows between Grand and the Paso jump mark the shortcut. There's nothing to say so on those arrows though, unless its in code.

I was just messin' with ya... it's still there!

Nope, maybe they meant that at one time. As of last year the meaning was inconsistent. The <<> in downstream Taj Maha has the << pointing downstream.
TajMaha.jpg

The <<> in Sac Actun the << points upstream towards Cenote Ho Tul.
SacActun.jpg

I was told that the << generally points towards the closer exit while the < points towards an alternate. But overall the markings are a mess.

I agree Sac is inconsistent. The three arrows at the Paso jump has the double pointing upstream with the single toward Grand (downstream). The upstream is a bit closer. But your explanation seems strange, too. If it were simply closest versus alternate, you'd see triples all over the place, except Chan Hol. You don't. At the T to Calimba the double arrows point toward Grand which is further than the single pointing to Calimba. In that case, the single is on the Calimba line because of several restrictions on the Calimba line. As you say, inconsistent.

On the line from Dos Ojos to Dos Palmas, there is a triple at the Mott Mott jump with the double pointing downstream to Dos Palmas and the single back to Dos Ojos. Mott Mott jump is at the midpoint.

There is an active cat and mouse game going on in Mexico over lines and arrows that is a continuation of the nonsense which has been going on for the last decade.

There is an active cat and mouse game going on in Mexico over lines and arrows that is a continuation of the nonsense which has been going on for the last decade.

Yeah no kidding. Personally I would ditch the triple arrows altogether. I don't find them very helpful landmarks, I mean there's a jump at them already. Just mark the jump, what more do you need to define a point in space. Maybe (just maybe) have a <> at the midpoint between cenotes instead.

I think the point us Florida divers are trying to get across is that you should really only do so much new cave in one dive, if you get to the point where you have to drop 7,8,9 markers in new territory, then you're getting too far. Issues are always multiplied by the complexity of the dive, so it's not worth it to bump that factor up to 9 for one dive, better to spread it out over 3,4 or 5 dives.

I think the point us Florida divers are trying to get across is that you should really only do so much new cave in one dive, if you get to the point where you have to drop 7,8,9 markers in new territory, then you're getting too far. Issues are always multiplied by the complexity of the dive, so it's not worth it to bump that factor up to 9 for one dive, better to spread it out over 3,4 or 5 dives.

I certainly agree with that. I think the most (nondirectional) markers I've dropped on a MX dive is 2, maybe 3. There ain't no way I'm getting into a situation where I have to swim 800+ft "against" the arrows in the dark or low vis without some personal confirmation of location+direction. But I'm not so full of self-doubt to need those confirmations every 50ft :)

I certainly agree with that. I think the most (nondirectional) markers I've dropped on a MX dive is 2, maybe 3. There ain't no way I'm getting into a situation where I have to swim 800+ft "against" the arrows in the dark or low vis without some personal confirmation of location+direction. But I'm not so full of self-doubt to need those confirmations every 50ft :)

For sure. I guess the question becomes one of judgement of how much confirmation of exit you need as time goes by.

Being "confident" that you can exit without those confirmations is of course one thing, but actually doing it could turn out to be quite another thing in a stress situation I guess (and you don't want to discover that problem at the wrong time!)

EDIT:

Maybe for the "cave tourists"/squirrels like me, someone could see their way to installing one of those "ski-lift" things in all the cave entrances? Then I just have to hold on to it conveyor-belt styles as it pulls me through the entire cave without me having to do a thing :) Couple that with the u/w "Ipod audio tour" of the caves, and who needs a class ??

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom