COOKING in Cozumel - where to stay?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We don't have much dough for food while on dive vacations, we get breakfast included with our room at Hotel Cozumel. We eat lunch in the room with a combo of things we bring and a few items picked up at Cultimara? Supper is a no brainer, we're close enough to walk into town and there are alot of excellent places to eat for reasonable prices with drinks and leftovers, about $20 for 2 people and the food is good and many are outdoors with a breeze and atmosphere. Its probably our favorite thing to do besides the diving and checking out the eastside beaches and beachbars. If necessary we can bring our portable kitchen, a single electric burner and a pot along with utensils.

Don't count on the BBQ at Costa Brava. It is an old broken down outside grill. Looks like hasn't been used or cleaned in 10 years.

Suites Bahia for sure for kitchen, Colonial may have some kitchen also.

We stayed at Summer Place for three trips in the past.
The Summer Place Inn - Bed and Breakfast - hotel in Cozumel, Mexico
Its been a few years but we thought it to be great a great place to stay. The outdoor kitchen is stocked with whatever you would like for breakfast items. Joe and Marta where always very kind hosts. We rented the condo they offer and it was very nice. The location is half a block from the Chedraui (kind of like a super Target/ Wal Mart) grocery store. Summer place is two blocks from the water. El Centro is about 20 minute walk from here. I've always dove with Aldora and would get picked up at the Plaza Los Glorias pier. The pier is now El Cantil condo resort's pier and I'm not sure if they allow access to that pier unless you are staying at El Cantil? Check with your dive op to see the closest pier to get picked up at.

We now stay at Villa Aldora:
Bienvenidos - Aldora Divers | Only the best of Cozumel
imag0169p.jpg

p1010011gz2.jpg

There are several rooms that have full kitchens. Off the top of my head they are North suite, Aldora Suite, Barracuda, Cameron and Felice. Location is just north of town and a really nice 20 minute walk along the water front to get to El Centro. Brent can usually run you to the store for supplies as needed. The dive boat will pick you up literally steps from your room. Occasionally there can be a beach BBQ/dinner in which the people with kitchens allow access to DM's and other guests to make for an absolutly wonderful evening, dining under the stars. BBQ with Big John the grill master/Pit Boss is always fun along with everyone helping out. There is always plenty of help from everyone. It is one of the highpoints of staying there for Kim and I. There is always lots of food and good times had by all!
p3150837.jpg

p3150840.jpg

Last edited:
Henny has just completed some updates at Summer Place Inn. We stopped by to talk to her last week(she was our realtor) and it looks nice. We stayed there several times while completing our purchase & it is clean, comfortable & convenient.

Mike

I have never stayed but have looked at coral reef inn . I belevie they have a common kithcen area for people to use and a BBQ on the roof i think. They do some great cheap dive packages with dive paradies.

Yes, Coral Reef Inn has a good kitchenette area. We used it a bit.

Sorry MMM, Suites Vima does NOT have kitchenettes. They do have a mini fridge in the room and (sometimes) a microwave and hotplate for guests in the common area. There are no dishes or pans, you bring your own. Despite this drawback I love the place. You are right, only Spanish spoken there. The resident family will gladly let you borrow a pan or a big knife to cut a pineapple.

http://student.santarosa.edu/~hcannon/intro_dreamweaver/midterm/p1.html

I always pack my little traveling kitchen with me: fork, spoon, sharp knife, bottle/wine opener and immersion heater in a little flat tupperware container. Plus a cup and bowl and I'm set.

I want to add Amigos Hostel to the list. Community kitchen + the one private room has a kitchenette.

http://www.cozumelhostel.com/

Summerplace is very nice.

I just thought of another place I looked at years ago and my recollection, in addition to the very nice rooms for a decent price is that they had kitchenettes. Suites Vimas. Great in town location. I walked past it today on 10th Ave and Calle 2 or so. Still looks nice and I kind of wish I had tried it back in the day before we bought property here, although I don't think much English is spoken there. I don't have a business card but Google is always your friend.

Last edited:
Sorry MMM, Suites Vima does NOT have kitchenettes. They do have a mini fridge in the room and (sometimes) a microwave and hotplate for guests in the common area.

Thanks for the correction. It WAS quite a few years ago that I looked at their rooms....

Back
Top Bottom