Coolest Myth Ever! Deep Sea Diver CRUSHED

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nitrox_DiverNY

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24

The myth is that if a deep sea divers air hose is cut, the pressure differences between the water and inside of the suit will cause the diver's body to be crushed and squished up into his helmet. Something interesting: In an episode where they talked a little bit about the behind the scenes of this myth, they mention they had borrowed the helmet as part of an antique diving suit and they promised to return it in perfect condition. "The helmet was not in returnable condition".

I thought this clip of Mythbusters crushing a deep sea diver was pretty cool. Crazy to think that people actually died like this

This is actually useful for me for a filming project on Greek sponge divers.

I was under the impression that these hats had one way valves.

Hard hat helmets do have one way valves to avoid this, and to film this video, that valve should have to be removed.
A video showing that nothing happens because of the one way valve has no impact and no audience.

I was under the impression that these hats had one way valves.
I'm going to Kalymnos to speak to some retired sponge divers. I'll go to the maritime museum to look into this. My guess is that for many years Greek sponge divers didn't have basic safety equipment.

One sponge diver told me that the first thing he would try to do after a deep dive was to smoke a cigarette. If he couldn't light it he knew he was going to be bent.

I'm going to Kalymnos to speak to some retired sponge divers. I'll go to the maritime museum to look into rhus as my guess os that for many years Greek alonge divers didn't have basic safety equipment.

One sponge diver told me thatbthe first thing he would try to do after a deep dive was to smoke a cigarette. If he couldn't light it he knew he was going to be bent.

I'll check my neighbours gear later, he was a sponge diver in the 50-s, he claimed that if his shoulder did not hurt after the dive he did a bad job :D

Hard hat helmets do have one way valves to avoid this, and to film this video, that valve should have to be removed.
A video showing that nothing happens because of the one way valve has no impact and no audience.
I didn't know that, at least that one way valve prevents them from looking like the inside of that helmet!

I dived with a guy who was a commercial diver for several years. He quit the day after this happened to his good friend and co-worker. Don't know if the one-way valve malfunctioned or what happened, but it was still hard for him to talk about. It's a bit upsetting to me that the hosts of the show thought it was "so awesome" that people have died this way. No empathy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom