Coolpix s2900: nest step?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

erbedo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi, I currently own a Nikon coolpix s2900, and I am happy with it. Out of the water I am used to shoot with a DSLR, so you can imagine I feel a bit constrained underwater. However, I still have to improve my UW technique before considering to upgrade, but I I was curious about what will be the next step:
- A new camera, maybe a bridge, which allows more DSLR-like controls, RAW images and so on, manual mode?
- An external flash? Would it be a good upgrade also for the s2900 or it would be hard to use it due to the abundance of automagic controls? Do you think buying a supercheap one with the s2900 will pay off and would help me to improve my technique?
- Both? :D

I have an older Nikon Coolpix with ikelite housing. I added the flash and wide angle lens attachment and I'm happy with the results. The biggest complaint I have with point and shoots vs slr underwater is that there seems to be too much of a pause between pushing the shutter button and the camera actually going off with the point and shoots. In alot of cases I've missed alot of cool shots because of this delayed timing.

I have an older Nikon Coolpix with ikelite housing. I added the flash and wide angle lens attachment and I'm happy with the results. The biggest complaint I have with point and shoots vs slr underwater is that there seems to be too much of a pause between pushing the shutter button and the camera actually going off with the point and shoots. In alot of cases I've missed alot of cool shots because of this delayed timing.

What flash did you get? And what wide angle lens? I am actually considering of buying a macro close up lens.

I also have an older Nikon Coolpix (a P7100) but with a Fantasea housing. I'm using a Sea & Sea strobe and shoot raw and full manual. I've been using it for a number of years and I am really happy with it except for the shutter delay that fish149 mentions. I have no interest in switching to a DSLR for underwater use because of the cost and the size of the camera + housing + strobes. I own a Nikon D800 that gets a lot of use for nature and wildlife photography but I have no desire to take it underwater.
I don't think Nikon makes a point & shoot with full manual and raw image that anyone makes a housing for anymore. The Ikelite housing for the Coolpix P7700 is still available but the camera is discontinued.
If I had to replace my current camera I would go with a Canon G7x. There are several manufacturers who make housings for the G7x. There are some pretty good deals out there for G7x housing and camera bundles.

What flash did you get? And what wide angle lens? I am actually considering of buying a macro close up lens.
Ikelighte housing. Flash is ikelight s as well, the AF35 model.

Hi, I currently own a Nikon coolpix s2900, and I am happy with it. Out of the water I am used to shoot with a DSLR, so you can imagine I feel a bit constrained underwater. However, I still have to improve my UW technique before considering to upgrade, but I I was curious about what will be the next step:
- A new camera, maybe a bridge, which allows more DSLR-like controls, RAW images and so on, manual mode?
- An external flash? Would it be a good upgrade also for the s2900 or it would be hard to use it due to the abundance of automagic controls? Do you think buying a supercheap one with the s2900 will pay off and would help me to improve my technique?
- Both? :D

I have the J2 (sev. hundred a year ago) with the associated WP-N1 housing (ultra cheap at $50). I just saw a used J1 for $169. Additionally I purchased a simple single arm tray (guessing that's what you call it) which holds a light source (GoBe or Sola in my case). With a 67 mm filter on the case it does quite well down to about 80 feet, acceptable even to 100 if you aren't too picky...

Has RAW, manual controls, etc. I have only played with the standard PnS shots and video, but have really liked the results. I'm not a heavy-duty photographer so this was a good entry point for me.

With a similar background, shooting 35mm and later DSLR topside, I started with a point and shoot set to "manual". I next purchased a strobe/flash (a Sea and Sea YS90) with an arm and tray. Then a year later another arm and a YS 110.
The strobes without a doubt increased the quality and color of my shots. They also increased the work load. Much more to set up, move and track. But buying in steps was more cost effective and allowed time to get familiar with each level.
Then, when I took the leap to a DSLR housing I already had lighting. I am still using those strobes (knock on wood) many years later.
I would suggest the same route. Upgrade your lighting and work on using that light.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom