Cooper River - first time experience - info for those interested

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
My son and I went for a fossil dive on the Cooper River in SC with Johnny Cercopely at Cooper River Dive Charters. This was our first black water experience and I thought it might be useful to others considering a similar dive. Johnny runs his own boat and does 3-tank charters.

Initial prep:

Before we went, I tried to research the dive conditions and prepare. I picked up mesh collection bags, made spikes, checked the SMBs, and double checked the batteries in our lights. I also applied for the mandatory South Carolina Hobby License for collecting artifacts and fossils ($500 fine for not having one). It took about 3 weeks to get the license, but it was only $10.

The experience:

Viz was everything that was promised, which is to say almost nothing. In the current, I could make out my buddy's light from around 3 feet. The best viz we had was maybe 2 feet and to see anything clearly it was about 1 foot. This made physical contact on descent and ascent critical. All it took was a moment to lose sight of each other.

The spike turned out to be essential in the current. I picked up a couple of 8" Phillips-head screwdrivers and some paracord. I drilled the handles and made lanyards. These worked well even when the current picked up significantly. I could feel the shaft flex at one point, but once it was set into the clay bottom it was solid. When the current picks up, it really moves. I was hanging on to the spike pretty hard during one dive.

The water temp was decent (about 83 deg. F) and fairly consistent to the bottom, as you would expect in moving water.

Lessons learned:

Gear, first. I believe a marker light on the tank strap is essential. I swear by those on night dives (especially over chemical lights) and it was essential in the murk since a flashlight was invisible unless it was pointed almost directly at the other diver.

When we go back, I will be taking more and stronger lights. We had UK C4 eLED pistol grip lights, which are only 575 lumens. That was fine, but more light would be better. Our backup lights were almost useless. Also, take extra batteries just in case.

Since you're lying on the bottom bumping or crawling along, fins don't do a lot. Knee pads, on the other hand, would have been a good idea. I may pick up a cheap set from the hardware store for the next time.

The collection bag. This is a personal preference thing, but I found that a mesh bag, even a smaller one, got dragged in the current. I felt like I was constantly fumbling to get it open and put items inside. Other folks had homemade canisters (PVC pipe with a drilled end-cap and a rubber opening) or stuffed the items in their pockets or suit. In the future, I might leave the bag behind or just use it for the rare larger item.

Air management. The low vis made checking the SPG more of a challenge as you can't just glance at the dial but instead you need to bring it close to your face and light it. (Those with LED gauges may not have this problem.) This was made even more difficult in the current where I was holding on the spike at the same time. This may be something where checking your buddies SPG is easier than checking your own, as long as you communicate with each other. At depths of around 30 fsw, we generally had over an hour per dive on an AL80 tank and it was easy to lose track of time.

[Edit: added section on weight] At the recommendation of others, we dove overweighted. I was about 6 lbs. heavy (I'm not a big guy). I'm not positive this was necessary for me and I really dislike being overweighted. It freaks me out on ascent. Since you're spending your time on the bottom, I understand the reasoning. In the future, I think I'll reduce the weight to something closer to my usual.

Finding items:

This is where I really need to improve. Digging in the muck is generally a waste of time. Moving around and looking at the accumulations of gravel is the best plan (hence the benefit of more light). I was not the best at identifying shark teeth and other items from the rocks. The best plan is to pick up anything that looks interesting and figure it out on the boat.

Even with no prior experience, we found shark teeth, including some large fragments and a number of smaller intact teeth. My son also came up with a pottery shard from the late 1800s and an intact whisky bottle from the late 1800s or first years of the 1900s. The more experienced guys on the boat came up with fossilized mammal teeth, many more shark teeth, and even a knapped flint spearpoint.

We did come across shrimp and juvenile flounders on the bottom and at one point I saw a fish (unknown type) and a small eel at the edge of my light. With such poor viz, you won't see much. If you're claustrophobic or get spooked on a night dive, you should know that this is similar. The shrimp, in particular, would suddenly pop into view, often just inches from my mask. I didn't mind, but I could see how this could spook some people.

Tl;dr:

This was completely unlike other diving. Very little swimming, mostly crawling or anchoring to the bottom. Very low viz. Don't count on finding too much your first time. 10/10 - will go again.

Very good write up. Sounds about right for your first time to the Cooper. It does get better after a few trips. Over weighting is a must. Surface time when the current really picks up. HID lights do best. Knee pads are a good idea. Stay on the gravel beds for easier finds. Think triangle, triangle, etc. Use 2 double enders attached to your shoulder D rings for your catch bag. A little weight in the bottom of the bag helps to keep in from floating around. Skip the tank lights. It appears that someone never told you that it is pretty much a solo dive and most of the times I have dived there I never saw my buddies until the end of the dive. Spot on with the thought that if it looks unusual / out of place, then bring it up.
Please check out, on this forum, Any fossilers wanna show off some photos?

I can imagine that it will get better as we get more experience. I realized on the first dive that it was a solo dive situation for the other divers, but I was diving with my teenage son and his mother wouldn't have forgiven me if I lost him. I trust his skills but....

Thanks for the write-up @Cville_Diver. We'll be there in three weeks and it'll be my first time in the Cooper.

I have all my equipment ready including screwdriver with lanyard (3/16" stainless cable), multiple lights, and knee pads. I'm diving with some folks who have a lot of experience in the Cooper but, your write-up is still very helpful.

Regarding your weighting. Did you weight heavy based on your normal freshwater weighting or normal saltwater weighting? I ask because I know that parts of the Cooper are brackish. But, I don't know whether the parts you normally dive for fossils are fresh or brackish.

Thanks for taking the time to write this. I am new to diving but eventually I would love to try diving like this.

Thanks for the write-up @Cville_Diver.Regarding your weighting. Did you weight heavy based on your normal freshwater weighting or normal saltwater weighting? I ask because I know that parts of the Cooper are brackish. But, I don't know whether the parts you normally dive for fossils are fresh or brackish.

Based on the flow, I would assume buoyancy based on fresh water. I was overweighted for both but the numbers I gave were over my usual freshwater weight. Others were going 10 lbs. over. (Don't exceed your BCs lift capacity, but you knew that already.)

But, I don't know whether the parts you normally dive for fossils are fresh or brackish.

I would call it brackish when we went but you do not want to dive neutrally buoyant - you want to be on the ground - muck diving style.
When my son and I went we were over-weighted - the last thing you want is to be flapping in the current slightly positive...
I would pick salt water plus 5lbs if I went again.

And has been said above make sure your BCD is in good working order. The bag of rocks and goodies that you carry up as well as any additional items you need to haul up need to get you to the surface.
That said if you have not done so - practice your SMB skills you need to float a marker so the boats can see you and you dont get hit...

Back
Top Bottom