Coral Bleaching Thailand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Arizona

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
During April-May 2010 the water has been unusually warm. My computer (Mares Nemo) recorded a bottom temp of 34c on Saturday May 23 at about 15m. Two other divers had 32 and 33 each. Regardless it was hot! The pictures at the link below indicate the extent of damage at Shark Fin. This site is dived from Pattaya.

What have others noticed in different parts of Thailand lately (Koh Tao/Samui, Phuket, Krabi...). Pics welcomed!

By showing this I am hoping to educate those not familiar with the problem of elevated water temps over prolonged periods of time and learn more from our community.

Hopefully, the situation will reverse and happier pictures will be posted in the months to come.

Shark Fin May 23, 2010 (Sameasan, Thailand)

Last edited:
During April-May 2010 the water has been unusually warm. My computer (Mares Nemo) recorded a bottom temp of 34c on Saturday May 23 at about 15m. Two other divers had 32 and 33 each. Regardless it was hot! The pictures at the link below indicate the extent of damage at Shark Point. This site is dived from Pattaya.

What have others noticed in different parts of Thailand lately (Koh Tao/Samui, Phuket, Krabi...). Pics welcomed!

By showing this I am hoping to educate those not familiar with the problem of elevated water temps over prolonged periods of time and learn more from our community.

Hopefully, the situation will reverse and happier pictures will be posted in the months to come.

Shark Point May 23, 2010 (Sameasan, Thailand)

Hi Arizona,

I was diving at Chaweng Reef on Chaweng Beach on Koh Samui today and despite having heard about the current bleaching taking it's toll around Thailand, I was shocked, in my opinion maybe 10% of the reef on Chaweng was affected.

Here are some pix which I posted on my dive blogl

From Phuket, especially at Racha Yai the bleaching is becoming a problem. With temperatures over 32 degrees that is not surprising.

The main corals here are Staghorn corals, easily affected by things like this, but also fast growing and recuperating. So I'm still hoping for the best.

During April-May 2010 the water has been unusually warm. My computer (Mares Nemo) recorded a bottom temp of 34c on Saturday May 23 at about 15m. Two other divers had 32 and 33 each. Regardless it was hot! The pictures at the link below indicate the extent of damage at Shark Fin. This site is dived from Pattaya.

(Note: Reposted question in this thread by request)

Hi Arizona,

Sorry to be a bit uninformed on this topic. I did not quite understand why natural variations in ocean water temperatures which causes coral bleaching and other marine phenomena is, (as you posted in another thread) "really disturbing". Do you mind to elaborate?

As an relatively uninformed person on this topic, it appears, at first brush, that increases in ocean marine temperature is a natural phenomena and is simply a part of the normal life cycle of a vast ecosystem.

What am I missing?

Hi funrecdiver,

If you Google 'coral bleaching' or 'coral bleaching causes' you'll find a http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiki page about Coral bleaching and a site by http://marine biology dot org that explain about raised water temperatures causing coral bleaching, just a few degrees can cause serious problems, like the Maldives experienced in 1998.

Although temperature may not be the only cause for the bleaching, in Thailand it may well be right now, since the water temperature are a few degrees up to what is considered normal this time of the year.

Please have a look at the links provided.

It is usual through the summer to have water temperatures of around 32c around Pattaya / samaesan divesites. Cant comment this year because have not dived in the area for some time. But one thing for sure is the air temperature has been warmer than normal this year and no real significant rainfalls as yet. So I am not at all surprised at the water temperatures observed by Arizona.

But 34c! Geez, can coral already bleached to extent photographed come back? I've only been diving the area for 4 years but have never seen it this warm before.

But 34c! Geez, can coral already bleached to extent photographed come back? I've only been diving the area for 4 years but have never seen it this warm before.

I been diving around Pattaya for over 10 year now and never seen water temps of above 32c.
In the past, Highest temps I have found usually May to sept are around 30-32c.
Lowest temps in the winter months dec-feb I have usually found them to be 25-27c.
Let's hope it doesn't get any warmer.
As the water temp's I have also never Experiences so many hot sunny days as we are having this year. When I get time I will look and see if I can find any info on actual figures.

I had a feeling this was the case. What about other areas in our region?

I was running CoralWatch with my student club two years ago but we never witnessed bleaching or temps at this level. We only did this on two dive outings. Are there any dive shops that have conducted CoralWatch over a prolonged period of time at Shark Fin or other sites that can shed light on things?

I was running CoralWatch with my student club two years ago but we never witnessed bleaching or temps at this level.

Hi Arizona,

The CoralWatch presentation you shared is really excellent. Thank you.

I wonder how many DCs in Thailand are participating?

Is it possible to login to the CoralWatch online web site and see who is participating?

Update: I found the answer at the CoralWatch web site. Anyone can view the raw data for a reef and see the DC and person doing the volunteer work on the CoralWatch results page.

Back
Top Bottom