Corona del mar state beach. Any info please?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

counterpoint

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello all. I am headed to Corona del mar state beach for the 4th of july weekend and was wondering if anyone can tell me about the diving there. My wife and I are meeting the rest of her family there and we plan on a couple of dives, but looks like mostly sand and the breakwater wall. Is there anything else to look at there. I have seen a little bit on shorediving.com but its old and very little info.

I know its basic and there are better sites but we are meetng up with a large group of non-divers for the day, so its here or nothing.

I would greatly appreciate any info on this site. Thanks so much:)

Enter South of the beach, about 100 feet from the cliffs, head straight in and you will come across a small reef system. Have fun.

Dont dive the breakwater wall unless lobster nights...Just like Marc said , south side a few small reefs that you can see before you dive from the street above. If you get there early you can dive Little Corona (small beach 400 yards south) and still get back to Corona Del Mar State Beach in time for family and a second dive there.

Thanks
We will try the south side and maybe hit little corona.
So I take it the breakwater wall is nothing but sand?
I really appreciate the posts guys. very helpful.

Yep $15 ,ridiculous. unless you get there early(before 6am) or late (after 7pm)or park above and take the walk.

Yes I've been there, and the only positive thing is the jetty blocks the waves, otherwise there's nothing going for this site. It was my first and last time there.

Adam

can you guys reccomend another place thats good for beginner diver. easy parking and an easy walk to the beach and nice for the non-divers..

Little corona right down the street; free parking but a bit of a hike down the hill. If conditions are good, great kelp dive and easy beginner dive---only 20-25 deep on average.

I dive this site often out of convienience...Agreed with most of the area having a sandy bottom, but as others mentioned the east end of the beach has a great reef! I just dove it yesterday and saw a very large Bat Ray, several Horned Sharks, Lobster, Nudibranchs, Bass galore along with Sargo, Kelp fish, Halibut, Abolone and other life. Park on the far east end (note - the beach faces south out to sea) and gear up. Walk as far east as you can and enter between the two large rocks (about 20' or so high) and enter. If during high tide, watch for some smaller rocks that can trip you up. Surface swim south out to sea about 200 yards or so and look for the kelp. Drop down and enjoy. I usually plan my dive this way then when I'm about 15 minutes from ending my dive, I head west along the 20 fsw depth and still seem to find plenty of stuff in the muck. There are a few small reefs along the way and follow the countour lines in the sand as your guide (instead of staring at your compass). When you are nearing your surface time, swim north to about 5fsw and stand up. You'll avoid the walk in the sand while geared up and enjoy the easy exit.

Once you are done diving, walk over to the showers next to the restroom and rinse gear if you like. I bought an annual pass since I dive there frequently. When other spots suck, this place usually is diveable. The location I described is also known as "Inspiration Point" in one of the divebooks. Little Corona is a similar dive site, but screw that hump of a hill with all the gear.

Another note is you need to recognize the July 4th is a VERY BUSY beach day for the Newport area. You will most likely be directed to the east end anyway by the lifeguards if the beach is full or filling up.

After you dive this site (providing you do) please let us know what you think.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom