Corp of Engineers Dive Project

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seaangel

Reaction score
The Corp of Engineers have contacted my LDS to schedule a clean up project at Lake Thurmond/Clark's Hill. This lake is on the state line of GA/SC so depending on which side you live on the name changes. Anyway on September 29, at 10 am they are asking divers to come help with a clean up project at the Dam and around the dock areas. My dive shop will have tanks and air available and the Corp of Engineers will be having a cook out. I hope to be available and help out, this sounds like we will have a good time and do some worthwhile work as well. Visibility at the lake varies from very limited to a little better than 8 feet. Water temperature is 78-80 surface and thermocline 72-76 at about 25 feet. I will report back on how this event went afterwards.

Bottoms Up....Bubbles Up!!!!
Cindy

Hi Cindy,
I live in Hartwell, GA and dive for our lake's trash every year. We just completed a cleanup at Jocassee Lake in Salem, SC this past weekend Sept.22,01. It was supported by PADI and John Coon (SE PADI Representative)a Project AWARE event. I would be glad to post this for you on the SC/NC Scuba club on Yahoo. Perhaps this will help in getting more participation. As a club officer of the Anderson Divers Association, Inc. for many years, I worked with our DAT (divers against trash) program. We have pulled out numerous bags of things that we sorted and recycled from the lakes. One of our club members is quoted as saying "It is like a land fill down there." We have found by hitting the high impact public areas every other year that there is less trash being thrown into the lakes. Generally you need to have surface support persons who will rinse the cans and bottles to be sure that the small catfish and clams that claimed those containers as homes make it back into the water immediately. Small pontoon boats work best in getting trash from the rising divers so that they do not tire or have to swim far with full goodie bags either. I have catagorized the information and counted for detailed reports and turned them into the Corp for further accumulated data on this effort. They can supply you with local maps that can be highlighted along the shore line you clean for the reports. The lists are very interesting to compile. Just the other day I found an aged bottle of Michelob beer that was nicely chilled and sealed. Let me know if you want any other imformation from my experiences and I would be glad to help out. samsliquidblue@yahoo.com

Back
Top Bottom