Correct way to pronounce MARES?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sumomaster

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Since the Mares people just returned from Italy, could one of you (Zak or Phil) please give us the "correct" pronunciation of the brand? I've heard it a couple of different ways.

Mayors (city officials)
Mars (the red planet)
Mar-rees (2 syllables like marries except with a long "r")
None of the above?

Also, where does the name come from? Does it mean anything in Italian?

TIA (thanks in advance)

sumomaster

I've always thought it was two syllables.....MAR-ES

Could be wrong though......

Mares is the Spanish Plural for the English Word "Seas" . . .

Since the Mares people just returned from Italy, could one of you (Zak or Phil) please give us the "correct" pronunciation of the brand? I've heard it a couple of different ways.

Mayors (city officials)
Mars (the red planet)
None of the above?

TIA (thanks in advance)

sumomaster

How about mahr' aze?

I've wondered the same thing; in the U.S. it would be pronounced like a group of female horses.

I have heard industry longtimers use mahr' eze

Mayors (city officials)
Mars (the red planet)
None of the above?

TIA (thanks in advance)

sumomaster

Well we did not go all the way to Italy to figure this out. At first I thought to sit on the sidelines and watch this because no matter how you pronounce it I think it is great that everyone cares so much, THANK YOU.

I have heard many, it is not: an elected official (mayor), a planet (mars) or a plural horse (...)

It does have two syllables, MAR ESS. Depending on your accent (Italian, NYC-mine)
the emphasis changes slightly, on either syllable it may change and your ability to roll an "r" gets involved.

Mares was the last name of the founder of the company.

Thanks to all

Phil

Well we did not go all the way to Italy to figure this out. At first I thought to sit on the sidelines and watch this because no matter how you pronounce it I think it is great that everyone cares so much

MAR ESS eat oats and does eat oats and little lambs eat ivy....?

Around here its pronouced:

"MAR-RES"

Perhaps a local thing....

Well we did not go all the way to Italy to figure this out. At first I thought to sit on the sidelines and watch this because no matter how you pronounce it I think it is great that everyone cares so much, THANK YOU.

I have heard many, it is not: an elected official (mayor), a planet (mars) or a plural horse (...)

It does have two syllables, MAR ESS. Depending on your accent (Italian, NYC-mine)
the emphasis changes slightly, on either syllable it may change and your ability to roll an "r" gets involved.

Mares was the last name of the founder of the company.

Thanks to all

Phil

Is "Mar" pronounced like Martin....or like Mare?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom