Corrosion, Verdigris in HOG regs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aqua-Andy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have noticed that my HOG regs seem to experience corrosion or as some call it Verdigris more than other manufacturers products. Is this due to the chrome process they use or something else maybe. I have seen other people mention this issue in other threads. I'm wondering how it will affect the longevity of the product, my oldest set is close to nine years old, just wondering what I would need to do so they last the 30 or so years you see in Scubapro and Aqualung? I guess I could rebuild them every year to keep the verdigris from getting out of control but that is less than optimal.

soak more and soak better. Should be going into flowing water for quite a while after salt exposure, preferably before it dries. The chrome on them is much better than what aqualung/apeks put on their regs, but that isn't going to alleviate having rinse and soak them properly....

one trick I figured out early on is to use a rubbermaid bin if you have a small pony bottle to keep them pressurized, or bathtub if you don't, with a fish tank pump in it to keep the water moving around the regulators
https://www.amazon.com/Cobalt-Aquat...483905908&sr=1-55&refinements=p_85:2470955011

something like that guy will keep the water moving around which will help to break down any salt and get it out of the regs. If they were allowed to dry, let them soak for at least half an hour to soften everything then put the mouthpieces around the outlet of that filter to let the fresh water get pushed through, then go around all of the connections etc. Will be much better than just letting them soak

Thanks, I never thought about the aquarium pump. I always let them soak pressurised in a large bin for a few hours or more. Then I rinse off with warm water and actually put the hose into the mouthpiece to flush out the second stage. I have sold all my other regs off in favor of HOG so I have nothing to compare them to at this point. So does this issue seem to be more prevalent with HOG or am I just bitching about nothing and just really need to clean my regs better?

the chrome holds up better on them than most modern regs I have come across, but I think this is more cleaning them better. Not sure of how many dives they've had since proper cleaning, how long they wait between coming out of the salt and into the fresh, etc so can't really gauge it, but it is unlikely they'll be more prone to buildup than anything else. Make sure the water is warm/hot in the rinse bucket, it won't hurt anything, but will definitely help get the salt to break down pretty quick.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom