Cost diff between in person and online

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For an AOW class, $345 for eLearning vs $380 for traditional is not an "overcharge". The AOW course is almost all diving, and diving is costly... especially if it involves three boat trips (as an AOW course with only boat diving would require.)

New divers come to Scubaboard for advice, and that advice can often leave a long lasting (and sometimes erroneous) impression of the industry. See my posts above for a more detailed explanation. It's not the shop that is overcharging in the OP's original question.

Did you even read the post I was replying too. I was clearly talking about a Nitrox course I had taken.

The instances of "extra work, extra charges" are naturally what tends to show up on forums such as this. In the absence of any study or survey, whether that is the exception or the rule is pure conjecture. I do suspect that the degree to which eLearning has NOT been embraced is highly subject to observational bias, and may very well be in the minority. Aside from administering the Quick Quiz for OW, the instructor does NOT "have to perform a secondary level of review."

I also forgot to mention an anecdote I heard but can't personally vouch for. I was told that when PADI first planned to introduce eLearning, they had NOT planned to include the Quick Quiz to be personally administered by an instructor. The story is that PADI membership told them loud and clear that would not be acceptable, and so the Quick Quiz was added.

Your anecdote seems very likely. PADI's eLearning very much cuts out the instructor which in turn drastically cuts their ability to make money. I can see why instructors would be irate. PADI's solution seems to be 'let us collect our money and they we'll send them to you to write a test and they you can they soak them for more money.'

When I signed up for eLearning it was with the expectation that it replaced in person instruction. This does not appear to be the case AND it appears this fact is obscured.

Did you even read the post I was replying too. I was clearly talking about a Nitrox course I had taken.

Seems like I got my wires crossed somewhere... my apologies. The thread started with the OP asking about the $380 vs $345 cost of the AOW course, and then the discussion kind of went in several directions talking about the cost of other classes.

I worked it out with them to skip the elearning and just do it all with them. I am picking up the book the night before. Then doing an afternoon dive the next day so I should have time. I am meeting them at 11:30 for review before the 1:30 boat.

It all worked out thanks a lot for all the comments. Now I have a beer budget for the Packer game if I can find it. :)

I leave tomorrow morning.

thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom